cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Billing ex customer for October. Confirmed cancellation in August.

ExCustomer_99
Hooked

Billing ex customer for October. Confirmed cancellation in August.

At the end of my contract, I decided not to continue for another year with plusnet and I switched provider

My contract and first payment had commenced on 28 August 2017. My new contract begins 28 August 2018. Perfect.

My new provider contacted plusnet, prompting plusnet to send a "Sorry you're leaving” letter.

I then called plusnet to confirm the cancellation and was assured that I had made my last payment and that as I had finished my contract there would be no early cancellation penalty. Call time: 18:06 on 17 August

I was then charged £20.99 on 22 August for September usage.

I then noticed a bill for October usage appeared in my account. So I called plusnet again and was assured this would be simply ignored as my account was in the process of being closed. I was assured that any money owed by plusnet would be credited upon the account closure. Call time: 19:38 on 29 August

I got an email on 15 September saying plusnet are going to bill me on 24 September for October. Plusnet know that I am no longer a customer and sent post confirming this.

After reading through other customers who have come to the end of their contract and not renewed – switching providers, but still been charged, I am wondering why this is so common.

Can someone on the plusnet team please address this for me?

62 REPLIES 62
DeeCee73
Dabbler

Re: Billing ex customer for October. Confirmed cancellation in August.

Same issue. Changed provider (phone & fibre) mid August, all acknowledged by Plusnet. Was billing on 21st Aug, not standard full amount, so assuming it was up to 14th Aug.

Received an email yesterday stating that my next bill for full amount will be taken on or around 24th Sept.

Account details show my services as Unlimited Fibre without phone.

Help assistant shows the phone and fibre being as being stopped on 14th Aug.

Have updated the assistant to advise that I will be cancelling the DD mandate before billing date if no valid reason if provided for this billing is given, and I can't see any valid reason for it, so mandate cancellation is imminent.

Not happy in the slightest,

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @ExCustomer_99, I've taken a  look into your account and raised a ticket regarding this issue which can be viewed here.

Hi @DeeCee73, I've also taken a look into your account and raised a ticket regarding this issue which can be viewed here.

Please allow me to apologise for any inconvenience that this issue may have caused you and if you have any further queries please don't hesitate to get back in touch with us.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Katielouise1911

I am having similar problem. It was confirmed that my phone and broadband would switch on 23rd August to talk talk, yet I’ve looked and I’ve paid up to 16/9/18 with next bill due 17/9/18, surely I should be getting a part refund here?
No mention of that to me anyway.
Warwick
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Hi @Katielouise1911

I am really sorry to hear this and thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Having looked through your account my response contains account specific details so I have responded via a ticket that you can view here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=182745851

If you have any further questions feel free to get in touch.

- Warwick

DeeCee73
Dabbler

Hi,

Since then I have received reminder's to update my payment details, and today an email and text as a payment reminder. I can't see the ticket raised as I can't access it due to "non payment". Someone somewheer in the loop still hasn't closed the account down.

GS1
Hooked

I'm also having a similar problem. I switched providers in mid August, but have been billed for Aug-Sept, and am now being billed for Sept-Oct, plus extra charges for failed payments, and being threatened with debt collectors.
I've had previous verbal and written confirmation of cancellation.
To add insult, by account access has been terminated, so I can't raise a ticket, and emails are rejected, so my only recourse is phone, where there are currently 'unexpectedly high call volumes' (when isn't there?), leading to a 30-minute wait time.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

There are issues with the cancellation process hand off from BT Openreach to the losing CP / ISP. This can result in the losing supplier being advised that the phone line has been moved, but not the broadband service.

What’s particularly irritating here is that the consequences of this hand off failure is that the £2.50 dual services discount is lost against the price of the B.B. service.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ExCustomer_99
Hooked

What a surprise!

Money has come out from my account again yesterday morning (24 September). All of the "Sorry for any inconvenience" type of responses from staff is as useless as the time taken to read them.

The Plusnet process as observed so far is as follows:

1) Bill a customer after they have left

2) If they are too busy / rich to notice, we have netted a neat little profit

3) If they do notice, reply apologising and promising to look into to it

4) Don't actually close their account! (If you do, how can you continue to bill them?)

5) Get so many ex customers money that you end up getting fined £880,000 by OfCom

6) Wait a little while

7) Go back to step 1

mikex163
Dabbler

Have the same problem as the rest of folks: broadband cancelled on Sept. 17* and received confirmation that the line was closed and would have to pay an early termination charge of £16.98 (the contract run up until October).

Yesterday received an email saying I had a new bill for £18.99, and after many attempts of trying to get the friking PDF, much to my surprise those £18.99 refered exclusively for the line rental for the period starting on Sept. 24, i.e., a week after my account has been closed. No mention of the early termination charge, just only the line rental.

Raised a ticket yesterday (Question #182931999) but haven't heard from them yet.

I guess I'll have to cancel my direct debit, as I don't see the issue getting sorted by the end of this week and don't want to be chasing a refund for months.

*Moved to a new home with FTTP, otherwise I would have stuck with PN as I was very happy with them. Well, at least until now.

ExCustomer_99
Hooked

@mikex163 

I really do not know what they are playing at. I hope you get your issue sorted.

@TheMightyAJ 

I don't think that you realise there is a certain amount of trust placed when someone from a customer service team promises to look into the problem.

The premise of the customer is that this is a person who is willing to help and assist, to sort out what has gone wrong in a system. If, in fact, that person is simply buying time to keep the customer sweet while the company can further exploit them, then it reduces this forum to nonsense.

The reason I am writing is that I still hope that this is not the case. I have sent a reply to the ticket that you linked in your first response.

ExCustomer 99

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

@JonoH

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

gerrarda
Dabbler

After 3 promised attempts to close account by customer services finally got email which said the following and made me laugh

What happens next?

Once your services have been cancelled, you'll no longer have access to your Plusnet services, or our award-winning customer support.
mikex163
Dabbler

An update on my case: since PN didn't say anything for over 48 hours after I opened a ticket with them, I've decided to just go ahead and cancel my direct debit - received email already from PN saying this has been cancelled.

The ball is on PN's side no to send me a bill for the correct amount I owe them.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @mikex163

Thanks for getting in touch. I'm really sorry to see that you've been incorrectly billed.

I have escalated your open complaint ticket (here) to our billing team and asked them to resolve this accordingly. You do not need to take any further action or make any further payments at this stage.

Thanks for your patience while we get this resolved.

Best wishes,

Dave