Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Billed for period of waiting for fibre install

Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Billed for period of waiting for fibre install

Hi zorgster,
I'm very sorry for any confusion that's occurred here as well as the router not being despatched to you for the date of the activation.
I can see that the Fibre router has now been ordered and currently in transit so this will hopefully be with you by tomorrow morning, if this doesn't appear in the post tomorrow it may end up being delivered as late as Monday so please accept our apologies for any inconvenience that this will undoubtedly cause.
With regards to the current connection issues you're seeing while trying to establish a PPPoE connection directly with the router, I'm unsure on the issue that you're seeing when trying to establish the connection after the initial set up. I can see (as you mentioned in the previous post) that the connection was made for around an hour following the call with Alex however this doesn't appear to have been re-established since the initial drop.
The PPPoE connection is established by connecting to the router directly with an ethernet cable and then using a dialup connection from the laptop in order to connect to the service. As this is a workaround until the router arrives I understand this will not be ideal however the laptop will need to remain connected via ethernet to keep the connection open. In addition to this, each time the laptop is powered off, it will close the connection and the steps for connection will have to be followed again in order to reconnect.
I notice that you've mentioned that you're using a Mac so I've included a link to Apple's own knowledge base page which explains the connection and how to set this up however if you need help with this, our support team should be able to talk you through the process if this would be more beneficial for you.
If you have an alternate router attached to the BT Openreach Fibre modem, this would need to be removed in order to establish the PPPoE connection detailed in the guide above.

Just to touch on the complaint you've raised, I can see that this has now been picked up by a member of the complaints team and will be dealt with for you as soon as the new router has arrived, you're connected and the service is up and running for you. In addition to this, I believe that we may have found the cause of the issue so a full explanation on this will be provided as part of the complaints procedure.
Again we are very sorry that you've seen the issue with both the provision on the telephone along with the issue in getting the fibre service up and running.
zorgster
Dabbler

Hi
I have a spare Belkin ethernet modem, router and a Linksys.. and a couple more routers that might be capable of making a PPPoE connection.. I'm sure that if I was at home I could get something up and running before the router arrives..  🙂
Or just connect my laptop and share the connection..
I'll be returning back to Sheffield tonight and will have a look...
Best regards
Oliver
AlexD
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi Oliver
Fingers crossed it works. Hopefully the Plusnet router should be there tomorrow.
Hope you have a safe trip back to Sheffield.
Alex Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex D
 Plusnet Help Team
zorgster
Dabbler

Hi
I have just got back to Sheffield.. and found the router.  Plugged in... but getting an authfail..
also wondering if the ntp address (192.18.1.8) is correct?  seems like a strange IP address...
Here's the log.. 
An email sent to me says the username @plusdsl.net..    and the password is the one I used to sign up to Plusnet.. is that the one i signed up to plusnet with 8 years ago?  or the one that I currently use?  how do i know which one is programmed into the router?
Router arrived... plugged in .. fails to connect...  log from router:
Recorded Events
Time   Message
Info Jan 1 00:05:20 LOGIN User admin logged in on [HTTP] (from 192.168.1.64)
Info Jan 1 00:05:04 PPP CHAP Receive challenge from rhost bras-red7.sf (Internet)
Info Jan 1 00:04:37 PPP CHAP Receive challenge from rhost bras-red7.sf (Internet)
Error Jan 1 00:04:20 PPP CHAP authentication failed (Internet)
Info Jan 1 00:04:20 PPP CHAP Receive challenge from rhost PCL-AG08 (Internet)
Info Jan 1 00:03:16 PPP CHAP Receive challenge from rhost bras-red7.sf (Internet)
Info Jan 1 00:03:15 CONFIGURATION saved by TR69
Warning Jan 1 00:03:12 PPP link down (Internet) [10.49.44.235]
Warning Jan 1 00:02:50 SNTP Unable to contact server: 198.18.1.8
Info Jan 1 00:02:20 CONFIGURATION mbus igd sync successfull
Info Jan 1 00:02:17 CONFIGURATION mbus atomic sync successful
Warning Jan 1 00:01:59 PPP link up (Internet) [10.49.44.235]
Info Jan 1 00:01:58 PPP CHAP Receive success (Internet)
Info Jan 1 00:01:57 PPP CHAP Receive challenge from rhost JUNOS (Internet)
Info Jan 1 00:01:53 PPP CHAP Receive challenge from rhost bras-red7.sf (Internet)
Error Jan 1 00:01:37 PPP CHAP authentication failed (Internet)
Info Jan 1 00:01:07 PPP CHAP Receive challenge from rhost bras-red7.sf (Internet)
Error Jan 1 00:00:59 [ANTI_SPOOFD] (err) llist_getobject_at for ENV.ANTI_SPOOFD's value failed
Warning Jan 1 00:00:43 DHCS server up
Warning Jan 1 00:00:16 KERNEL Warm restart
zorgster
Dabbler

The line is now up....  Cheesy
Crazy
zorgster
Dabbler

The line is up...
thanks Alex for sitting on this to get things done...
It's a bit of a pity that the fibre was presented in the corner of our porch..  and not further inside the flat.. so that the signal can reach my office...  .... and also that the router sent out was almost identical (TG582n) to the one we had been using before.. although I assume the difference is the PPPoE user.ini in the router's ram...
I wonder if anyone knows whether I can re-configure the old TG582n as a bridge/repeater to extend the signal so that it can reach my office (and bedroom)? 
I can then configure the old one myself via telnet access...  it appears to have the capability to bridge... and I could probably work it out if I had the time - but easier to see if anyone else could tell me what I would have to set up...  an ip bridge / eth interface.. etc?
Regards
Oliver
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi Oliver,
Glad to hear that you're back online.
Quote from: zorgster
It's a bit of a pity that the fibre was presented in the corner of our porch..  and not further inside the flat.. so that the signal can reach my office...  .... and also that the router sent out was almost identical (TG582n) to the one we had been using before.. although I assume the difference is the PPPoE user.ini in the router's ram...

You are correct, the only real differences between the routers is the firmware.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet