cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bill gone up >12% with no email explaining

FIXED
northernline22

Bill gone up >12% with no email explaining

I understand the contract states that annual increases will be CPI + 3.9% but our bill has risen by 12.22% and I have had no email outlining the changes so I can't check the figures. Very, very annoyed and regret I'm in a contract until Spring 2022. Why >12%? Why have I not received an email with even an acknowledgement of the change? Horrible customer service. 

13 REPLIES 13
Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

Re: Bill gone up >12% with no email explaining

@northernline22 

This is currently causing much confusion. The price increased on 31st March. Your bill is made up of a back charge for the increase from this date to your billing date, plus the new rate going forward.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Not so much causing confusion as I suspect that after reading the summary people are not looking at the detailed break down (which references charging dates) on subsequent pages and are proceeding direct to seeing red mist.  The first bill after the price increase contains...

1. Refunds for the period after the price rise date to the current billing date for the services already paid for last month
  2. A back charge for the period after the price rise date to the current billing date for the services at the new rate
  3. The charges for the coming month at the new rate

Therefore the total of this bill will be more than the total of the last bill +9.3% as it covers a duration of more than one month's increases.  It will be the following bill which should be compared to the pre-increase bill.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

...and its only going to get worse as billing dates progress through April🙄 by the time we get to the 30th, some people will have almost 2 months increase!!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

northernline22

Wow, please don't be patronising, I do not appreciate it. I don't believe this is the problem because both April and May's bills are identical so it seems it's unlikely that it's because of a pro rata change. I'm not necessarily saying the increase is incorrect but this has been communicated extremely poorly and it's difficult for customers to work out what is going on.
northernline22

Both my April and May bills have gone up this much and I don't understand how this pro rata change of 17 days (in my case) explains 2 months identical increase. I understand the increases being applied retrospectively is causing confusion but I don't think this is the issue I'm dealing with and think the only way to find out is to call Plusnet.
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@northernline22 Not being patronising, but have you checked the breakdown of your invoice - I understand this can be found on page 3?

John
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Fix

Good evening @northernline22, thanks a lot for getting in touch and welcome to our online Community Forum. I just tried to call you and go through your latest bill over the phone, it's correct, and I've sent you an email outlining the charges on there. 

Let me know if you have any further questions at all. Smiley 

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
cjthompson321

You regular bill will have increased by 9.3% (5.4% for inflation, and 3.9% just cos). But there'll be be some back dated charges on there to cover a portion of last month's bill which was charged at the old rate.

Depending on your billing date you might find these extra charges to be a little or a lot. Next month will be back to normal though (with the 9.3% increase).

Edit: I didn't get an email about it this year though.

northernline22

That's the thing, my bill has permanently gone up 12.2%, not 9.3% 😢 (confirmed with Plusnet). To me it looks like my bill has increased twice and feels like a rip-off but apparently I'm wrong.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm holding my hands up to this one, my bad, I made a slight error on the email that I sent you yesterday @northernline22

I've just sent you a further email correcting myself if you'd like to have a look. 

My bad! 

Adam
northernline22

Page 3 didn't add much useful in the way of information, I had read it, thank you.
northernline22

Thank you
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Let me know if you need anything else @northernline22 Smiley 

Adam