Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bill credits and direct debit - staff input please

FIXED
act123
Grafter

Bill credits and direct debit - staff input please

Hi

Plusnet didn't bill me in August and September but have now billed me for 3 months.  

However, that bill doesn't include the free broadband I negotiated as part of my renewal so it overcharged me.  

It was agreed my account would be credited with £40 but I have only received notification of a credit for £17.  I spoke on the phone earlier and was told there was another credit for £23 showing but I haven't had notification of that so am somewhat cynical.  

I was also told Plusnet will take the (wrong / higher) bill amount by direct debit which is obviously unacceptable and it was suggested I cancel the direct debit.  

I've always found the staff on here more helpful - can someone please confirm there is an extra £23 credit and point me to the ticket etc.  

Is cancelling the direct debit the best way forward - surely there is time for Plusnet to amend the amount?  I don't want to pay the higher/wrong amount and why should I? 

Thanks.  

7 REPLIES 7
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Bill credits and direct debit - staff input please

Hi @act123 I believe this should be sorted following my reply Here.

To clear things up about the £23 that'd likely be the £17 + £6 that was "pending manager approval" in the system. The full £40 is showing on your account now to come off your next generated bill.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
act123
Grafter

Thanks for your reply @Gandalf.  I was hoping you'd have some thoughts on the last bit of my post ie next week's direct debit.  You're due to take the full amount of the wrong / higher October bill.  

Is the only way to avoid you taking too much and me ending up in credit to cancel the direct debit?  

I know it will end up with more hassle being chased for an unpaid bill and having to set up a new direct debit, but I really don't think it's fair to take money that I don't owe you, especially since the issue is entirely of Plusnet's making.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @act123 Unfortunately as per my reply on your other thread we can't change an amount that's currently pending via your direct debit instruction and the credit we've applied will likely come off your next generated bill which means that even if your payment fails the credit will likely not correct it.

If your plan was to allow the payment to fail then we'd have been better off not applying the credit at all then applying the credit once the payment had failed.

If you can nudge me when the payment has failed I'll need to get the credit removed and then re-applied.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
act123
Grafter

@Gandalf, thanks for your reply.  

Halima confirmed in question 195096267 that cancelling the direct debit should sort things out - is that not the case?  

I'm fast losing faith in Plusnet.  

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @act123 As far as I am aware, the credit that's stacked on your account will come off the next bill because there is no current outstanding balance. Either way it doesn't really matter or change things because if you'd want to cancel your direct debit, whatever the outcome we'll sort things out one way or another. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
act123
Grafter

Thanks for your reply @Gandalf.  

I was just trying to avoid the hassle on both sides by trying to resolve it before the payment.  Whichever way you look at it, charging me £83 when I owe £50 isn't fair.  

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

Don't worry about the inconvenience for us @act123 as you've said it's not fair on you and if you're not happy with the potential solution of paying the full amount then getting a credit next month, feel free to cancel your direct debit and we'll be happy to pick up any pieces should the applied credit not reflect on the current outstanding balance.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet