Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Biling puzzle - again

Sir_Lurkalot
Grafter

Biling puzzle - again

Hi
My basic bill is £11.49 BB + £11.99 Phone = £23.48 / month
I am presently £18.54 in credit and have been in credit for a couple of months.
Why then is my bill £23.66 Huh  Why are any call charges not taken from the credit which I made in June?
This has happened time and time again and so far there has been no satisfactory explanation.
Cheers

12 REPLIES 12
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Biling puzzle - again

that is the way they do it, they make sure you can pay by allocating it against your CC Credit, but then take it of your variable DD
Sir_Lurkalot
Grafter

Hi
They know I can pay - the account is in credit  i.e the money is sitting in their bank account !
So why not just take the fixed rental off the card ?
Cheers
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
The call credit is entirely separate from monthly subscription fees I'm afraid, we can't use this to take payments. Bear in mind this starts at £50 without you having to pay anything.
Sir_Lurkalot
Grafter

Hi
Quote from: Matt
Hi there,
The call credit is entirely separate from monthly subscription fees I'm afraid, we can't use this to take payments.

Thanks. I appreciate that.
My monthly subscription is £23.48...  So my question is, why is my bill £23.66  when I have £18+ of call credit available to pay any call charges?
This additional odd few pence has been occurring off and on for a long time, without any satisfactory explanation.  I would have assumed that there shouldn't be any additional charges on my monthly DD until there is no call credit available.
It's not a big deal, but to my mind it doesn't make any sense at all.
lexusuk
Grafter

Hi Sir Lurkalot,
Your bill breaks down as follows:
Plusnet Extra Broadband: £11.49
Plusnet Home Phone Evening & Weekends: £11.99
Call charges: £0.18
Total: £23.66
Any calls that are not included in your monthly allowance will be billed additionally.  The Home Phone call credit system does not allow you or cover you for the payment of calls.  It simply means you can make £75 worth of calls.  So for example you made 18 pence worth of chargeable calls in your last billing period.  This would mean your remaining credit would be £74.82.  Once you have made £75 worth of calls you would then not be able to make any further calls as outbound call barring would be applied.  This can be removed or avoided by adding more credit by means of a top-up as and when it is required.
Hope that helps.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

how exactly does this work? I have a £50 credit and dont often make chargeable calls, the last was 07/07/2011 12:34:15  00:03:00 mins £0.10, and this was taken off the £50 to make £49.90, but  at the month end, my DD was increased by £0.10 and the credit was restored to £50
that appears to me to the different to the above
lexusuk
Grafter

Hi pierre_pierre,
To take your account as an example, every month you can make up to a maximum of £50 worth of calls.  If you need to make more calls than this you will have to top up.  At the month start you begin at zero.  Every call you make takes you in to your £50 credit we give to you.  This means at the end of the month you owe us the amount of calls you have made.
Alternatively.  Let's say you make a £10 top-up at the beginning of the month.  Then subsequently make exactly £10 worth of calls.  This means your monthly subscription amount is not affected as you have not had to use any credit with us.
The easiest way to think about it is like a pay as you go mobile phone that allows you to go below a zero balance.  If you add credit, any calls made after that point use that credit.  If you go below zero you owe that amount at the end of the month.
Hope that helps.
Sir_Lurkalot
Grafter

Hi
This is my last go at this, because I realise it's a pretty trivial point and apparently I being thick, but no I don't get it !  :-{
I am £73.54 in credit. i.e. I have £23.54 sat in YOUR bank account for you to deduct the cost of any calls from.
Why don't you just take the 18p from the £23.54.  If you still take the money for calls from the DD  what's the point  of having a top-up facility at all ?
Just to up Plusnet's bank balance apparently !  😉
Cheers
lexusuk
Grafter

As previously mentioned, if you top-up before you make the calls then the value of the calls should be paid from the top-up amount and therefore not appear on your end of month direct debit.  Bear in mind we don't bill calls until they have been confirmed by BT as being made so there can be some discrepancies where you end up paying for calls made in the previous billing month on the following month's payment.
Sir_Lurkalot
Grafter

"As previously mentioned, if you top-up before you make the calls then the value of the calls ****should****  be paid from the top-up amount and therefore not appear on your end of month direct debit. "
Which is exactly as I would expect it to work BUT IT DOESN'T and hasn't done for ages.
I repeat, I have about £18 of top-up credit which I have paid to you entirely separately from my DD and still you insist on taking call charges via the DD.
The system's not working properly, but clearly that's not understood by Plusnet - It's NOT me !
I surrender !  😉
Cheers
lexusuk
Grafter

Checking over your account it appears that since your last top up there have been calls billed as you have confirmed.  It is highly likely that these calls are from previous billing months that were not confirmed at the time the billing process occurred.  You should start to see your account invoices appearing without any calls appearing from the next billing period onwards.
Sir_Lurkalot
Grafter

Hi
Ok Alex, thanks
It must take a long time for these calls to get confirmed. I topped up sufficiently on 20th June,
Cheers
Andy