cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best time to recontract

hgp
Hooked

Best time to recontract

Does anyone know when the best time to speak to customer options is to get a good recontracting deal?

Is it after the contract has actually run out or a couple of weeks before it does?

My contract is due to expire at the end of November

I phoned customer options (cancellation team) and also spoke via chat to them, but wasn't getting a good recontracting offer at all.

Even after quoting a competitor's deal, the best I was getting was still £8 per month more than the competitor for my current 40/10 fibre and £7 per month more than the competitor to upgrade to the 80/20

My current Hub One has been playing up in the last couple of months and it's out of warranty, so it's either recontract with Plusnet to get a new free router or switch providers

14 REPLIES 14
Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

Re: Best time to recontract

@hgp 

Definitely do it before the expiry date else you will end up paying full wack for a month. New contracts start on your next billing date so now is the time to do it. You need to talk to the I'm thinking of leaving, not the cancellations team. If you don't get the deal you want you can always try again. 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @hpg, I'm sorry to hear the negotiation of your re-contract isn't going as smoothly as both you and we would have hoped for. I'm afraid there's no particular time where customers can call which would allow they to receive a better offer and re-contracting can be done at any point in the last 3 months of your contract or there after.

Although our customer options team advisors look to price match where they can, I'm afraid this isn't always possible especially given that most providers offer new customer deals that wouldn't then let the customer retake when re-contracting.

Having said that, if you've only tried negotiating once then I'd certainly advise giving our customer options team another call as our deals and offers are fluid and cahnge often you may get an offer that takes your fancy.

They are contactable directly on 0800 013 2632 and they are open between the following hours:

Monday - Friday: 08:00 - 20:00
Saturday: 09:00 - 19:00
Sunday: 09:00 - 18:00

hgp
Hooked

Yes, my apologies, I spoke to the "I'm thinking of leaving" team, not cancellations

They opened a question under the help assistant where they mentioned the price they offered me over the phone. Would they not see this and offer the same price if I tried again?

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @hgp,

This is the same team, essentially with pricing it can only be given for as long as the offer is valid. I would look around at our competitors on sites like MSE, comparethemarket.com and mention these deals to us.

In most circumstances we can price match or get as close in price as possible and that seems to be what has occurred here.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

hgp
Hooked

Thanks @Mads 

That is what I tried - I looked on Broadbandchoices.co.uk and mentioned deals from 2 competitors to customer options for the same package I have, but the best price I was getting from Plusnet was still significantly more than these competitors at £8 extra per month (£96 more per year)

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.
hgp
Hooked

Thanks @Mads 

I did take a look on broadbandchoices and quoted deals from there of 2 competitors for the same 40/10 + anytime calls package that I have to customer options, but the best price they were able to provide was still significantly more than the competitors at £8 more per month (£96 per year extra)

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

We're sorry to hear this @hgp.

I'm afraid that we in the Social Media Team aren't able to offer any further advise than has already been given but we are sorry that you haven't been able to get the deal that you were looking for.

Please let us know if you need any account assistance.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

The closer you are to the end of your contract the easier/cheaper it is for you to leave so logically the best offers would be made at that time.  If you sign up with another ISP (apart from BT perhaps) you might find that PN suddenly find an acceptable offer for you should you wish to cancel your migration and remain.

hgp
Hooked

Thanks @Jonpe 

I tried again today 8 days out from the end of the contract and got the same price as when I tried last week.

Got a long winded message about them only being able to offer 1 special offer per customer which I would've got when I signed up.

Seriously doubt that's actually true since my nephew signed up just yesterday for an 18 month contract for the 3rd time and got a good deal for the same package I have.

Will probably try one last time on the day the contract actually runs out or the day after. If I don't have any luck, then, sadly, it's bye-bye Plusnet Sad

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @hgp,

I'm sorry to hear that the advisors that you spoke to weren't able to find a suitable retention deal for you. If you'd like, we can arrange for a customer options team advisor to give you a call to see if there's anything better that we can offer?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
hgp
Hooked

Had a good laugh when I spoke to customer options this morning (I am now out of contract) and I got an even worse offer - £2 per month more than what I was offered when I spoke to them 2 weeks ago which included the 3 Dec. price rise.

Or £5 per month more than what I was paying until now.

Looks like I'll be switching Sad

TheAssassin
Hooked

I tried to renew today. Went up to £37.45 that's about £7 more than I pay now.

No loyalty for long term customers.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for your post @TheAssassin

I'm sorry to hear that we weren't able to offer you a deal to your liking.

Unfortunately we aren't able to offer existing customers the same deal as new customers

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
hgp
Hooked

@TheAssassin 

In the end, I just decided to switch to a competitor.

No-one I spoke to at customer options (and I contacted them quite a few times) could get even remotely close to the competitors' offers.

Switch will complete next week.