cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being screwed on bill rise beware

Steve28

Being screwed on bill rise beware

Just got e mail about contracted bill rise of CPI published Jan 2022 plus 3.9%. In my case a rise of £2.03. The CPI from Dec 21 published Jan 22 is 4.8% plus the 3.9% equals 8.7%. My bill is £21.95 do rise should be £1.91. I contacted customer services 4 times. None were able to do simple maths one said he had not been trained one said the rise was 3.9% and never mentioned the CPI rise also had the phone put down on me 2 times as they were unable to answer my questions and I assume that it was easier to put the phone down than answer. The third one said the mail is wrong as it’s not the index published on January but they have prior notice of the February index and that is what the price rise is calculated on contrary to what is said on the e mail which I assume is a written contract. Will check this with a lawyer friend. the fourth said it would take 3 working days to talk to a manager and that Saturday and Sunday were not working days so I will get a call next week despite the call centre being open on Saturday and Sunday All this from an award winning customer service.
Now why send an e mail that is incorrect or am I as suspected being treated with mushroom management. I am happy to pay the rise that is contracted not being taken for a chump. I know it’s an add on of £1.44 per year but if everyone of plusnet customers are taken for this the numbers add up.
Please check if you received this unambiguous e mail and do the maths and complain and hopefully you may speak to someone who has been trained, can do primary school maths and does not give you BS
12 REPLIES 12
jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Being screwed on bill rise beware

@Steve28 

The CPI increase in December 20121 was indeed 5.4% The CPI is the index that governs contractual price increase from Plusnet.

The 4.8% increase you quote is the CPIH index increase in December 2021 (this is a different index that includes for housing costs). Therefore, regretfully, I have to accept that a 9.3% increase in total is correct.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@jgb 

Thanks for the heads up.

@Steve28 

See  https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices/bulletins/consumerpriceinflation/december202...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

@jgb @Steve28 

I know it’s an add on of £1.44 per year but if everyone of plusnet customers are taken for this the numbers add up.

I think you'll find it is a monthly price increase.

Screenshot 2022-02-02 151854.png

Dan.

jgb
Champion

@Dan_the_Van 

Yes, I know that it is an increase on your monthly bill every month (or part month) from 1 March.  My post was pointing out that the relevant index is the CPI at 5.3% and not the CPIH at 4.8% as the OP seemed to have erroneously thought. I think the OP's figure of £1.44 per year reflected the difference between using the CPIH increase (erroneously) and the CPI increase.

The amount each customer will pay will depend on what their current deal is as it will be a 9.3% increase in each element of the bill - line rental, broadband, call plan, call charges etc., etc. If it is dealt with as it was last year (when the first increase was in June if I recall correctly) Plusnet will send each customer an individually tailored email to tell them what is coming. As the increase is applied on a specific date (1 March) rather than on a customer's billing date, there will be a complicated first bill with the new charges applying to only a part month with various debits and credits to achieve the final figure. Good luck in understanding that bill!

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@jgb 

Maybe it's up to the OP to say what he ment.

I fully understand how the price increase works!

Dan.

jgb
Champion

@Dan_the_Van 

I assumed as you had mentioned me in your post you thought that I did not understand the pending increase. I was not trying to teach you to suck eggs but maybe it might help some others who read these threads

Steve28

Dear Dan the van
I am not aware of mentioning anyone in my post.
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

The point of mentioning someone in a post is to highlight who and what you are responding to.

Sorry if I caused any upset I was only trying to be of help,maybe I miss understod your original post or it wasn't clear what you were saying!

See https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/5-4-CPI-3-9-9-3/m-p/1852926#M88296 

Dan

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hey all, the overall price rise this year will be 9.2%. This is based on the CPI figure published by The Office of National Statistics - 5.4%, + 3.9%.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@adam945  By my reckoning 5.4+3.9 = 9.3 or is Plusnet maths different.😀

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Cancelled

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Apologies - it was a typo, 9.3% is the total price rise this year.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds