Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being offered a worse deal than new customer to renew

Annie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Being offered a worse deal than new customer to renew

I thought the practice of offering loyal customers a worse deal than new customers was being stopped but obviously not. I've been a BB customer of Plusnet for over 20 years and received an email to renew my package. I'm on the Unlimited Fibre package with BT Sport on Sky. The deal in the email is £27.99 but I wasn't sure if this included the BT Sport. I rang Plusnet and was told that it didn't and the best they could ofer me was £24.99 plus BT Sport. New customers only pay £21.95 a month, not to mention the £50 reward card. So disgusted that loyal customers get treated this way. Seriously considering leaving on principle at the end of my term. Even took out Plusnet Mobile recently - I'm feeling like a mug.

Annie
12 REPLIES 12
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Being offered a worse deal than new customer to renew

@Annie 

Ring 0800 013 2632, select the 'I'm thinking of leaving' option and haggle. You should be able to negotiate a better deal. It helps if you can quote a competitors price for the same product, so look one up before you ring.

This number tends to be answered fairly quickly.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Depending on how you read this:
"We have now secured commitments from EE, Plusnet and Sky to do the same. EE and Plusnet have also now joined BT, Sky and TalkTalk in deciding to give all existing customers access to new customer prices."
(https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/media/media-releases/2020/broadband-customers-to-save-mi...)

Then yes, you should be offered the same.
But BT sport is worth is £15 a month so you're better off by £95 in a year, even taking into account the gift card.(if my maths are correct) or are you saying Sport is charged extra on top?

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@dvorak 

I note that it's a commitment to do the right thing for existing customers that's been secured. I read no time frame.

I remember commitments to mend the billing system and commitments to update the Hub One firmware. Neither, shall we say, happened overnight!

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

dvorak

True.. but a year should be plenty long enough Roll_eyes
Customer / Moderator
Annie
Rising Star

They said BT Sport is on top of the £24.99. However, I think (but am not certain) that I keep paying for BT Sport at £12.50 per month.

Looking at the Plusnet website, it's showing BT Sport HD on Sky (which is what I have at the moment) as costing £18.31 per month so maybe it's not so bad after all. Of course, if I cancelled BT Sport, I'd be worse off. I hate the way you can never make a straight comparison.

At the moment, my bill is £35.48 before my referrals come off so an increase of £2.01 per month but cancelling BT Sport would mean I'm disadvantaged compared to a new customer. I'm not sure whether BT will keep having Champions League and the Premier League games it shows so I will need to take a look at that.

Annie
dvorak

Champions league deal expires in 2024 and existing Premier League rights have rolled over on the same basis without a bidding war until 2025. (still having to pay for BT, Prime and Sky sports to get them all ain't cheap!)
Customer / Moderator
Annie
Rising Star

@dvorak Thanks for the info re BT Sports.

Annie
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi @Annie

I'm sorry to see you're not happy with the renewal offer we've given.

Looking at the account we've found from your forum profile, from what I can see we haven't sent you your end of contract reminder yet or made you a renewal offer. Can you drop me a private message with your account username and a copy of the email you've received so I can take a closer look please?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
fairISfair

Totally agree with your comments

I tried to renew my broadband contract early (talk about loyalty!!) to get faster speed and was told would have to renew other elements of a contract (voice calls) which I had negotiated hard 12 months ago ending up with a higher amount to pay instead of the difference of £1.26. 

When I asked the CSC analyst why I was not eligible for the deal advertised I was told it was for new customers only and "current customers are what keeps us sustainable!!"

I get a better deal with Vodafone on true FIBRE but I am stuck in another 6 months with Plusnet. Plusnet advertises Fiber which is not true fiber and misleading the unaware.

In its effort to grow, Plusnet has acquired some of the poor BT customer service practices that I left them for and for the first time today came across a rude CSC that stopped me from renewing my contract, I am contemplating buying myself out of this contract.

I can't even leave a complaint comment on my account via electronic ticket as only allowed 4 live comments, i have spent hours trying to send my experience feedback (as it really affected me) even tried email to support only to be told by Lisa Hardie (Head of Customer Service) to raise an electronic ticket...lol

I had no choice but to raise it in the forum and I see others are also getting similar treatment - this is not a good sign

Regards

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks for your time on the phone this morning @fairISfair

I've just sent you an email confirming what was discussed, and have sent a handover to our Customer Options Team for them to give you a call later today. Please feel free to reach out on here if you have any further issues at all.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
kstewart05

I was thinking the same thing. Loyalty isn't rewarded. I've just been offered a renewal increase. phoned us and they said they have offered me the same as new customers but then checked the Plusnet website and new customers have been offered a £50 reward. last year I was offered a much better deal. I've been happy with the service but just wondering if I should swap. Just checked and could save £4 a month.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi @kstewart05

I'm sorry to see you're having second thoughts about staying with us.

I'm afraid we can't always offer the exact same deal as a new customer would get when renewing a contract, although I can see as you've said we've offered the same monthly cost minus the reward card. 

If you'd want us to take another look, feel free to drop me a PM with a contact number we can reach you on and when you'd be free for a call, and we'll be happy to arrange for someone to call you back, but I can't guarantee we'd be able to offer you a deal that's better or a reward card.  

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet