cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT charging me for broadband after transfer to PlusNet

faraon
Dabbler

BT charging me for broadband after transfer to PlusNet

I migrated broadband (FTTC) from BT to PlusNet on 27/11/13 using a MAC code. BT are still charging me for Infinity 2 and claim I am still their broadband customer. They said the transfer to PlusNet hasn't happened and I shouldn't have used a MAC code because BT and PlusNet are the same company. I am certain that I am with PlusNet as my router is being assigned a PlusNet IP address and I am able to check my usage online. On the other hand broadband usage on my BT account shows 0.00GB.
Could someone please help me by confirming I am a PlusNet  broadband customer & send me an email to that effect so I can pass it to BT.
Regards
Faraon
12 REPLIES 12
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: BT charging me for broadband after transfer to PlusNet

Quote from: faraon
I shouldn't have used a MAC code because BT and PlusNet are same company

Well, that's utter rubbish for a start.
Something has gone wrong with your migration and it will be sorted out but BT claiming that you shouldn't have used a MAC is totally wrong.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I assume that you are posting from work
If you post from your home address I can check the IP address
faraon
Dabbler

Well, now I am at work but my original post was from home.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I can only check the IP address you are presently logged in with or where your last post was from
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@faraon, Is your router configured with your PlusNet username & password ?  

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

faraon
Dabbler

I know what my IP address is; I can check that at any time, even when I am away from home. It definitely belongs to a PlusNet range.
What I need is someone at PlusNet to check that all proper procedures were followed when the service was migrated from BT.
I am filing a complaint with BT and need all the evidence I can get.
faraon
Dabbler

Quote from: MisterW
@faraon, Is your router configured with your PlusNet username & password ?  

Yes, it is. On the day of the migration I obviously lost service from BT for a while since I was at work and still had the BT Home Hub connected to the modem.
I kept the BT Home Hub but had to change username and password on the router to that of PlusNet. It has been working flawlessly ever since.
The problem is that BT still believe I am on Infinity 2 and are still charging me for it.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Thanks, in that case your PN account MUST be active and BT can't possibly be supplying your service. I suspect that the BT systems have not reacted to the MAC being used, or BT Wholesale didn't tell them!
As to the proper procedures, AFAIK it's not possible to transfer ( without a cease & reprovide ) the service any other way.  As to evidence, you could probably start with your account summary on the member centre https://portal.plus.net/my.html?s=0&action=account_summary ( login required ) and if that's not sufficient then I'm sure PN can provide details of when the MAC was used.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

faraon
Dabbler

Thank you for your helpfull response.

adie:quote
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

BT Retail have access to exactly the same BT Wholesale system as Plusnet use which should show details of the MAC being used and the service transferred. However BT Retail call centre staff may not have access to that so they take what their own system says as gospel. There have been several instances of this problem reported in this forum over the last few weeks when what BT Retail records say is proved to be wrong. Raising a complaint to BT Retail is the right thing to do.
Plusnet will provide a copy of the transfer records from the BT Wholesale system showing MAC usage and date of transfer if needed for the complaint. However the Digital Care Team staff who respond on the forums might not be able to get this for you until after Christmas. You could try calling Customer Services to see if they can respond sooner.
David
David
southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Similar happened to me when transferring from BT Broadband to Plusnet Broadband. I checked on things maybe a week after my Broadband had been switched to PlusNet and BT said as far as they were concerned I was still a BT customer and hadn't received any information to tell them my service had moved and so they were continuing to bill me and they also pointed out I might be liable to pay a broadband disconnection charge if I had moved without telling them and using a MAC code. As I had gone through the proper process (to the best of my knowledge) and used a MAC code (Plusnet confirmed this was on the BTW order) I challenged this and they said they would raise it with their 'Data Integrity' department. Well, when I got my final bill from them they hadn't charged me a broadband disconnection fee, had only charged me for line rental upto the point PlusNet took over the line, but they did charge me for their broadband service for a further 2 weeks after it had been switched to PlusNet (this coincided with the day my phone line was moved - 2 weeks after my broadband) I'm not totally sure why but I figured things could have been a lot worse.
Get PlusNet to confirm the MAC was on your BTW order and raise it with BT for sure.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@faraon, if you're still having issues your service ID is BBEU12664047 and the order reference, which is now complete, is 2-86560798275 - hope they help? The order's definitely complete and has the MAC on it so it was used without a doubt.