Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT bill after moving to PN

FIXED
Rugazi
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

BT bill after moving to PN

We've just moved to PlusNet for broadband and phone at the end of last month, and we've been sent a bill from BT for a new phone service and also the old package for the same phone number.

It looks like PlusNet haven't contacted BT to tell them they've take over the phone service so BT are planning on charging us for a new one along with the old package (£207.90 package and new service). We did get an email from BT saying "These are the services that have stopped: BT Broadband" so it looks like they didn't get notified about the phone moving to PlusNet.

The BT support are terrible, I was told to cancel the direct debit but I have a bad feeling about all of this. I'd like some conformation if PlusNet notified them or not and if not who’s paying for this mistake when they come chasing for money.

The main account username is: [Removed].

Sorry if this is in the wrong section of the forum.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Personal information removed from a public forum to an area that staff can see.

21 REPLIES 21
dahools

Re: BT bill after moving to PN

I am in the exact same boat. Having bought BB and line rental from plusnet and got confirmation II cancelled the direct debit with BT. I am getting letters from BT saying they are moving me to a monthly or quarterly account and have moved me to line rental plus at £20. I have already had the sorry to see you leave messages and emails from them confirming I am moving away to plusnet. Then this? Surely I am not paying them for a months line rental and plusnet as well at the same time?

As said above getting to a person at BT is nigh on impossible to sort this out. 

Rugazi
Dabbler

I'd love to hear from a member of staff about this, and I'm not planning on paying BT anything based on the information below.

PlusNet Broadband and Phone was ordered on the 13/12/2017
PlusNet should have notified BT on the 13/12/2017
BT's website says
"If you're switching to another provider through the standard process (you contact your new service provider and they notify us), the notice period will be 14 days."
BT were paid 3 months in advance and were paid up to 31/12/2017
BT should have been notified 16 Days before the Broadband and Phone moved to PlusNet on 29/12/2017 and the notice period is 14 days so the bill should zero

Hopefully a member of staff can help us both out.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Not sure there will be much that PN ca do about your BT bill. Did you not say that BT sent a letter to say your line was moving?

BT tried to charge me when I left, took me about 30 mins to explain their own rules that says cancellation fees only apply if I stopped using BTW services.

Rugazi
Dabbler

@Mustrum I’m looking for PN to confirm that they notified BT, but if they didn’t they are responsible for the BT bill as they failed to notify them.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Plusnet don't actually tell the losing provider.  They are notified by BT Openreach as part of the transfer.  So if your line is actually now with Plusnet, then they will have been notified.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Welcome to the community forums @Rugazi

Plusnet don't actually tell the losing provider.  They are notified by BT Openreach as part of the transfer. So if your line is actually now with Plusnet, then they will have been notified.

Pretty much. We placed an order with Openreach to transfer your services from your previous provider. This triggers a leaving notification on your providers side of the Openreach systems.

It's possible that the notification hasn't reached your previous providers front-end systems.

If they check their supplier systems they should be able to see that we've taken over the line.

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Rugazi
Dabbler

Thanks @pjmarsh and @Gandalf, I'll get back onto BT now I know how that works and hopefully they'll remove that bill.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

How'd this go?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Rugazi
Dabbler

Hi @Gandalf, thanks for following up with this, I just got off the phone to a very helpful lady at BT who has assured me that I'll have a resolve of this bill with them in the next 72 hours, but basically they can't see that the telephone line has moved over to PN so it's being investigated, I'll be back to update when I've heard back from them.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cheers for the update. Fingers crossed it's sorted soon for you.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dahools

I ordered on the 3rd, cancelled BT DD on the 4th, they said they would cut me off if i didn't pay, seems they did around the 15th, plusnet went live on the 18 as expected (almost). not heard back from BT except a letter and plastic bag on 20th saying to recycle and freepost my Youview box back to them.

So a months money saved my end.

Happy Smiley  

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello Rugazi

I am really sorry to hear this and we would be happy to look at your account. Please can you contact our Customer Support who will be able to investigate this further. Their Telephone number is 0800 432 0200.

Many Thanks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
Rugazi
Dabbler

Hi @SammyM, I'm still waiting to hear back from BT, but I suspect they won't resolve it and I'll have to be the one who makes the call again, I think when they said 72 hours last time I called them they meant we don't care.

I'll update when I hear back from them and if I'm still not getting anywhere I'll give the support number a call.

Thanks,
Chris
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello Chris 

Not a problem and we are always happy to help Smiley.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team