cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Voyager router overheating

Spike

BT Voyager router overheating

Am I alone in suddenly having a spate of BT Voyager 210 routers going down.?
They always did seen to run hot but now after about 1 year to 18 months they are loosing the connection after 15-30 minutes use.  I have had three with the same problem in the last 2 weeks from people I referred to Plusnet and on each occasion I have solved the problem by swapping the BT 210 for a ZyXel 600.  The choice of replacement was based  how many stars they got in reviews and the fact they are cheap.  I've used one before and it performed OK.  The trouble is, when picking a router, you cannot tell  how it will perform over the long term - I hope the Thompsons now being shipped prove OK in this respect.  Searching the web indicated they were fitted with a bad batch of capacitors and it was these units which gave the trouble.  £30 for a replacement after a year is not too bad, but if this problem escalates what are Plusnet to do?  Can they give a new free router to replace the old one or does the user take the hit?
2 REPLIES 2
James
Grafter

Re: BT Voyager router overheating

Hi Spike,
Ultimately our hardware comes with a warranty inside the first 12 months and given the actual cost of the equipment, I'd generally not be surprised if they didn't have a massive shelf life, especially as the Voyager line has now been discontinued by BT.
I'm sure we could always come to an arrangement with you or your referrals to get a replacement out if needed.
Spike

Re: BT Voyager router overheating

I think that's fair enough - one of my referrals did indeed get another modem from you and very grateful he was too.  Nothing lasts forever - even purely electronic gear with no moving parts. Some deteriorate while another batch soldiers on.  I was just curious to know if others were having similar problems.