Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Junk email tells me I can get cheaper Plus Net - Appears to be correct

Eserim
Rising Star

BT Junk email tells me I can get cheaper Plus Net - Appears to be correct

Hi
i got a junk email today from BT telling me I can get cheaper Plus net broadband in my area - last time I checked I was still Market 2, so after the first 3 months the price went up.  I checked again, still market 2, but no indication of any price rise, it looks like I get the cheaper deal for good.  My exchange is Honiton.
Is this correct?  Why didn't PN tell me? And do I  keep my domain hosting from lagacy package (I'm sure the answer to this is yes)
Cheers
Eserim
12 REPLIES 12
lexusuk
Grafter

Re: BT Junk email tells me I can get cheaper Plus Net - Appears to be correct

Hi Eserim,
Would you mind sending me the content of the email and the address that it was received from via a private message so i can have a look?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Alex
It may have come from http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/low_cost_areas.shtml#costs although the main page is different
On 12th July 2011, our market definitions changed so that pricing for market 2 reflected that of market 3, allowing even more people joining us to get our lowest prices.
lexusuk
Grafter

@Oldjim,
That's what I expect.  Especially since this customer is living in a Market 2 area.  Would just like to see the email and the address it was sent to as I have a feeling it's from us.  Smiley
Eserim
Rising Star

It was to the email address attached to my BT account (bt@mydomainname) but is signed by Nick Rawlings
Here's a little reminder of just how little you need to pay for good honest broadband - only £6.49 a month with Plusnet.
That's the lowest price for standalone broadband available in the UK from a major supplier.*
And you can keep your current phone line.
Take a look at what you get, below, and we think you'll want to switch to us pronto.
• 24 hour call UK-based call centre which won the uSwitch Award for best customer service 2011

• Use our broadband as much as you like between midnight and 8am and it won't count towards your monthly total - perfect if you want to download a movie or two

• A personal speed estimate before you join, so you'll have an idea of how fast your service should be
• A wireless router worth £40 when you sign up for 12 months - you only pay £4.99 for p&p
Just think - all of the above, with the lowest price available for standalone broadband. It makes sense to join Plusnet, doesn't it?
So call Plusnet now on 0808 100 1874, or follow the link below.

Cheers,
Nick Rawlings
Commercial and Marketing Director, Plusnet
lexusuk
Grafter

Yes, that email was sent from Plusnet to you.  You are using one of our older products and you could benefit from cheaper pricing if you were to switch to one of our new products.  The email has been sent to you as broadband services recently became cheaper in your area.  Looking at your usage levels you would benefit from moving to our Value product.  This would reduce your monthly payment to £6.49 per month.  If you would like to change visit the following link:
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=myconnection&?membermenu=connectionsettings
And choose "Upgrade Account".
Eserim
Rising Star

Cheers -  Grin I'll probably move to the "Extra" package - if you looked at last month's usage, you'd have seen 10 Gb or so overnight stuff, that was Portal 2 from Steam, that was, and as the Steam client still hasn't got a scheduler in, it is fun having to set up a scheduled task to do it.  With 60 Gb I wouldn't have to worry.
Could you confirm the domain hosting please, I have 1 free, 1 paid for (£1 a month) and a 3rd free that you gave us after webmail was hacked (I think that is how they break down)
Cheers
Eserim
lexusuk
Grafter

@Usage.  I checked your usage over the last three months and saw less than 10Gb in the paid for period over all three months.  Remember usage between midnight and 8am does not deduct from your monthly paid for peak time allowance.  Agreed however, you wouldn't have any usage worries on Extra and you would still be saving money!
@Domains.  The domains would be unaffected by the upgrade.  Upgrading the package would affect your billing and usage allowance alone.
Hope that helps.
Eserim
Rising Star

Cheers - its not often I want to download stuff, but I'm getting into Steam games, so it will be nice not having to bother.
Many thanks I'll do that when I get home.
One last question, my mum-in-law is on Value in a market 2 exchange, will she get this price reduction automatically as no product switch is require?
Cheers
Eserim
lexusuk
Grafter

Your mother-in-law will be able to get the lower price as well but you will have to request this on that account as the change doesn't happen automatically.
The method for this is the same.  Login to the portal with the above link and choose the "Upgrade Account" option.  You should be able to choose the same product but you'll see the price is lower.  The change will take effect from the next billing as will yours.
Smiley
Eserim
Rising Star

cheers - all done, actually mum-in-law was on a legacy package, and on Anytime International (which she didn't need) so saving her £7 or so.
One final question, which is bothering me, why was this email sent to me on an address I ONLY use for BT?  I know PN are owned by BT, but this sems a bit strange, plus it appears to be an email taylored to get me to join PN, not to change package?  WOuld PN have sent me a email telling me of the new arrangements direct to my PN contact details?
Eserim
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

is that rhetorical?  Wink
Plusnet use the address for communication you have given them, I have changed mine a couple of times  Cool
jim:quote
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Eserim
Rising Star

I use unique addresses per company, so for BT I use BT@mydomainname - this email was addressed to that address - it has only ever been used by me for BT.  So this looks like a fishing trip for PN custom using the BT mailing list - this is allowed as they are a related company, but I would say, not exactly ethical.  But, hey, it saved me money.  I just am upset PN didn't tell me about this via the address they have on file.
Eserim