cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are these cancellation fees justified?

iaptekar
Dabbler

Are these cancellation fees justified?

I am moving to a new location and was originally planning to take my Plusnet broadband with me. When I called up about this a few weeks ago, they said that they couldn't fulfill this as I was moving to a new build and BT was no longer supporting fibre to the cabinet. As such I could cancel my account when the time to move came and not be charged a cancellation fee.

Now I called to have my account cancelled as I have moved and was told no, I still have to pay the cancellation fee.  I was told that if I get BT to install fibre to the premises then I can keep my account and not pay a cancellation fee? The problem is this is a rented property and I can't just go an install equipment without the landlord's permission. Also, as far as I see it my contract is with Plusnet, not BT. 

What's the advice for such a situation?

16 REPLIES 16
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Are these cancellation fees justified?

Plusnet staff (Help Team) should be able to give you  a definitive answer on this, but my understanding is that if you move to a property where FTTC is not available, then, unfortunately you are deemed to have broken your contract, so charges are payable. However, had you known - or advised PN - they could have arranged for your account to be moved to EE/BT free of cancellation fees.

Unfortunately Plusnet do not have an FTTP product to offer, so they would not be able to offer you a contract anyway.

@Gandalf Am I right or wrong here?

John
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

@iaptekar wrote:

When I called up about this a few weeks ago, they said that they couldn't fulfill this as I was moving to a new build and BT was no longer supporting fibre to the cabinet. As such I could cancel my account when the time to move came and not be charged a cancellation fee.

This is the key piece. If we’ve offered to waive cancellation fees, then we should honour it. Also, I imagine you’ve (presumably) made decisions, based on this advice.

Normally, if you move while within contract to a property we can’t provide the same type of service at, in this case FTTC, we’d offer you a different type, for example standard broadband or FTTP, if available. 

We aren’t yet offering FTTP as a product, but we have ways to sign you up with BT or EE as a potential alternative option to avoid cancellation fees. 

Let me take a closer look at this for you when I’m back in the office tomorrow morning. Smiley

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from My Order to My Account/Billing.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

iaptekar
Dabbler

The thing is I don't have many options if I am forced to accept FTTP even though the installation isn't there. This is a rental and I can't just get anything installed that I want. So I'm kind of stuck. Getting the landlord to talk to the engineers and arrange something is going to take time and I don't want to pay for a Plusnet connection I can't use.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

I can't see the landlord objecting to the installation of FTTP (your only option - it only means one small box on the inside of the property. Talk to the landlord - others in rental property have internet. He/she does not need to make he arrangements with BT/OR - you do, after getting their agreement.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I've listened to your call and just to confirm as I don't think this was explained too well, there are other companies who offer FTTP over the Openreach infrastructure, but if you sign up with BT or EE, we'd waive cancellation fees. 

Installing FTTP is a fairly straight-forward process, as the infrastructure should be there by the time it's available to order.  Although some drilling may be needed and a modem (also called an ONT) screwed to the wall.

Out of interest, have you asked your landlord if they're happy with this? 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
iaptekar
Dabbler

This is a block of flats and apparently would require the driveway to be dug up. The landlord is not allowing anything as disruptive as that to occur.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Ah I see. My curiosity getting the better of me again but....

Have you tried placing an FTTP order already and been told that advice by Openreach?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
iaptekar
Dabbler

As I said, getting fibre to the property will involve disruptive digging. It might get done eventually but certainly not quickly. I wonder if anyone here actually rents their place? I have to send a list of work to the letting agency, which isn't exactly efficient in getting back to the tenant. They have to contact the landlord who doesn't even live in the country. He is not exactly going to be quick to reply. Rather than keep on paying plusnet for a connection I can't use I canceled.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

As I said, getting fibre to the property will involve disruptive digging

I would have thought that, as a new build, the builders/Openreach would have installed ducting as they were being built ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @iaptekar, thanks for getting back to us and for the information Smiley Can you please confirm where you've got the information from with regards to dig work being needed? ie was this advised by BT/ an Openreach engineer?

I appreciate why you cancelled the account if we weren't able to provide a service at the new address but as has been mentioned, if an order for FTTP had placed with BT/ EE then we would have been able to cancel your account for free and you wouldn't have been paying us for service you cant use.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
iaptekar
Dabbler

ducting? There is a pipe in the garage along which the telephone lines come in, I think this is how broadband was supplied to the previous tenants. Is that suitable for openreach fibre too?

iaptekar
Dabbler

I will talk to BT again. So what do I do? Wait however long it takes BT to install the fibre and then come and tell you guys for a refund?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Just to confirm, have you tried placing an order with BT before? What did they say specifically? 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet