cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on changing banks and direct debit...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice on changing banks and direct debit...

Hi there
I am in the process of changing banks using the supposedly new, efficient switching service.  This will involve transferring direct debit arrangements to my new bank, something which will be handled by the banks under the new service.  Because of this, I am not in control of the date on which my bank will inform PlusNet (or PlusNet's bank) of the change in direct debit details, and am greatly concerned that I will fall foul of PlusNet's seeming inability to carry out such a change within a reasonable timescale.
Additionally, in another recent thread, Linn K states that 'should you need to change your DD instructions in the future that you allow up to 10 working days before your bill is due' (http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,122546.msg1090486.html#msg1090486) - sounds relatively straightforward, but my billing date is 6th of each month, with the payment finally leaving my bank around 12th of each month. Given that I am too late to change the direct debit for 6th April, I therefore need to give notice of the change after the payment has left my account in April (around 12th April) and no later than 10 working days before 6th May...  Given that we have Easter in April, using up a couple of working days, this narrows down the 'transfer window' considerably...
So...  My question to PlusNet is what is the best way to proceed?  Should I give you my new bank account details now, leave it to the switching process as orchestrated by the banks or move to another ISP to avoid all the hassle I can see arising from this? And no, I am sorry but I am not keen on you keeping my debit card details on your system as a way round the problem.
Any suggestions?
Alan
4 REPLIES
Plusnet Alumni (retired) LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Advice on changing banks and direct debit...

Hi Alan,
As you stated this should be carried out by your bank(s) and we should automatically be notified of your DD instructions being moved to your new bank account. Please note that you will more than likely receive a notification saying that your payment details are not up to date during the brief period that your DD instructions are changed from your old bank to your new bank. This isn't something to worry about.
Depending on when the banks notify us of the change and how close this is to your billing date you may need to make a one-off payment if your bill is not able to be processed via the DD instructions. If this is the case do let us know and we'll look into this for you.
My only suggestion would be to let your banks carry on with the change and we can monitor this from our end for you. Let us know when you receive confirmation from your banks that the change has gone through and we'll take a look at your billing details on our side.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Linn
Thanks for the response.  My bank has confirmed that the switch will take place on 9th April.  My billing date is the 6th of the month but you usually don't take the direct debit until a few days later...  I have the details of my new account - should I attempt to change my direct debit details with you now (allowing you 1 week to set it up) or allow the switching service to do its thing?
Alan
Plusnet Alumni (retired) LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for getting back to me Alan. I'd suggest leaving the switching service to go ahead as planned and we will request the payment on the 6th as usual from the details that are currently held on your account. If the payment fails then let us know and we can sort that out from our end here. It may just mean that you'll have to make a one-off card payment.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, thanks Linn
A