cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation fee & Cessation fee = Rip off hidden charges.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Activation fee & Cessation fee = Rip off hidden charges.

And the FAQ's ?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi davism,
We've just had the call listened to from when you signed up and it does seem that the cessation charge was explained and acknowledged.
Jojo Smiley
davism

Hello Joanne Pilson
Thanks for taking the time to investigate this.
I've just listened back to my copies also, so you can confirm that I asked both sales people the question to clarify that if I cancel my contract it will cost only me £25 + £40 and that they answered with an affirmative?

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

We've had a listen through your calls again and earlier in the day prior to your signup you were specifically told about the cessation fee and acknowledged this, you called again later in the same day knowing that the cessation fee was there and how much it was and went through the signup process.
Is there a reason you're looking to leave and can we help in any way?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
davism

I asked for confirmation on the call what it will cost if I cancel my contract and I was told it was £25 (under the impression that is was the deferred setup fee) and £40 for the router and was told the affirmative, total cost of cancellation £65.
I was not told when I asked for clarification that is was £25 + £25 + £40 and therefore cancellation was £90
Please do me the courtesy of answering my previous question, are you saying this is not true?
Thanks.
Chris
Legend

It depends on which call you are talking about, as when we checked there were 4 or 5 calls in to us. I'm not referencing the call where you actually signed up, but the call earlier in the same day where you were told about the cessation fee.
I was not told when I asked for clarification that is was £25 + £25 + £40 and therefore cancellation was £90

From the calls we've listened to, this was clarified on the call around 1pm.
However as I said I'd like to understand your reasons for wanting to leave and see if there is anything we can do to resolve them.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
davism

davism

Listening back to the conversations its obvious I didn't understand the charges and that is why several calls were made asking the same question!
Conveniently the deferred start up fee is the same price as the £25 cessation fee, and it being worded by the Plusnet sales team on both occasions to sound like it was the same charge facilitates confusion.
In the call in which I signed up on, I *specifically* asked and was told (without doubt) that it would only cost £65 to cancel the contract.
I am also finding other reports online from customers who have experienced the same as this, so I am not surprised and I will speak to your customer services manager instead of wasting my time typing here.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi davism,
As Chris intimated, on the call at around 1pm on the afternoon you signed up you were advised that it would be £25 activation, £40 deferred router and £25 cessation fee which the agent then clarified as £90 in total. And to be fair if we'd have listened to the calls and found that you'd not been made aware of it then we would waive the fee. In this case, however, it is clear that you were aware of the cessation charge before signing up.
Jojo
jjaycee1
Grafter

I have been with PN for a week now and I was told at the time of signing up that to leave PN (if I ever wanted to) would be that I pay the deferred £25 and also I would have to purchase the Router at £40. That's £65. No mention whatsoever of an additional £25 cessation fee.
Maybe this needs to be absolutely stated when taking on new customers.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

As has been established above it is advised when sales are made over the phone, and I believe it shows in the basket when signing up online (if not then it's definitely mentioned in the terms and conditions and also when selecting whether or not you'd like to defer fees).
Anotherone
Champion

Matt, whatever was established in the case of the previous poster, doesn't mean that it was clearly stated in the last case, unless you've checked the advisor did mention it in the particular sales call.
Whatever those situations actually were, it is quite obvious from the number of moans over a period of time that it isn't always clear. People should read all the legal bits, and as I mentioned it is in the T's&C's, however it wasn't in the FAQ's which I suggested it should be here and I asked again in reply  #15.
I am still waiting for Plusnet to respond to the suggestion  Roll_eyes
Chris
Legend

Quote from: Anotherone
The Cease Charge really ought to be mentioned in the FAQs under para.12. What contract and setup options are there?

I'm actually going to disagree there, it shouldn't be under the options section as it's not an option you can choose during signup.
Anotherone
Champion

Well as there are other charges mentioned in that paragraph that a customer would have to pay if they left, albeit within 12 months, that's a slightly pedantic response. So perhaps then there should be a new paragraph stating that, or change the titrle of para.12 to "What contract and setup options and commitments are there? and then add it  Roll_eyes
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Should it not be mentioned in 'Here's the legal bit' right here? http://www.plus.net/?home=hometop ?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.