cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation fee & Cessation fee = Rip off hidden charges.

markknights

Activation fee & Cessation fee = Rip off hidden charges.

Have been with plusnet for 7 months on the no annual contract broadband deal.  I went for the no annual contract because of the option to leave if unsatisfied.
This is what Plusnet  print in the small print when they suck you in
Broadband with no annual contract: There's a £25 activation charge (you'll pay this even if you add Home Phone to your order). You can use your own router if it's compatible or you can pay for one up front. Minimum term of 30 days.
It is quite clearly stated that fees are payable for leaving a 12 month contract early, but nothing to state that there is a cessation fee for leaving the "No annual contract broadband" package within 12 months. 
All I wanted was to move our account to our new house, and I was told that would cost 65 pounds (10 months worth of broadband) and we would be tied in to a contract for 12 months.  Naturally I rejected this so I have been charged to close my account.  This is outrageous.  I don't care if it is hidden in the terms and conditions, I have looked and can only find out this information when logged in to the plusnet website.
Furthermore Plusnet have decided to terminate my account early and have sent e-mails threatening external debt collectors for unpaid outstanding balances (even though I have done nothing to cancel my direct debit or prevent payment, and I did not want the account closed for another 3 weeks.
I have been with Telewest, Virgin, Sky and BT in the past and I have never had such bad customer service (although BT was pretty bad).
I am astonished at the attitude of their staff on customer helplines.  Luckily for me there is a competitive market, and I will do my best to make sure as few people as possible make the same mistake.

30 REPLIES 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Activation fee & Cessation fee = Rip off hidden charges.

[quote=markknights]nothing to state that there is a cessation fee for leaving the "No annual contract broadband" package within 12 months.
Is the cessation fee listed in your Account Summary ?
Have you seen the Cessation Charges Explained page ?
Anonymous
Not applicable

According to the Home and Office Move Guide -
2. Will it cost anything to move?
In most cases, moving broadband is free, although charges can apply in some situations.
If you take one of our phone packages, you may need to pay to install a new phone line or convert an existing one.
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

5. Does it apply when moving home or office?
Technically it does, but it's covered in the cost of moving.
In most cases, it's free to move property. See our Moving Guide for more information.

Taken from the link that purleigh gives ????  Huh
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
James
Grafter

Hi there,
It costs us £65 to move your broadband to a different property (£40 activation, £25 cessation).  We offer this as a deferred contract so you don't have to pay it if you stay with us for 12 months.
It costs us £25 to cease a broadband service.
A member of my team will reply to your complaint later on today.
davism

Recently signed up for Plusnet and believe I may have run into the same problem.
I spoke to TWO separate sales people when I signed up and NEITHER of them told me about the cessation charge.
I just spoke to customer services who told me that the sales people probably ASSUMED I would carry on the service if I move, therefore avoiding cessation fee and that it was in the small print of the terms and conditions...
I asked sales TWICE and they clearly stated if I cancelled my contract I would be liable to pay the £25 connection charge and the £40 for the router ONLY. 
If I specifically ask the sales people if those were the only charges and they said yes, then they lied, plain and simple.
Comments please.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

If you leave with a MAC, there's not a cease charge surely James?
davism

I understand that to be correct about the MAC code.
What I am complaining about is the fact that two separate sales people neglected to mention the cessation fee when specifically asked about charges pertaining to cancelling the contract!
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

I just checked with out Head of Sales and its supposed to be talked about during the sales conversation.  We'll dig a bit.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
davism

I am sure you can check the recordings of the sales calls...
If you don't, I have recordings of the calls that I took and am happy to share.
Many thanks.
Anotherone
Champion

The Cease Charge really ought to be mentioned in the FAQs under para.12. What contract and setup options are there?
But it is mentioned  in the Legal T's & C's under Ending your Agreement
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi davism,
I can see when you made the initial sales call, did you call off your landline or a different number? PM me if necessary.
Jojo Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

[rant]
As a separate point, I've always said that the Cessation Charge is a Rip-off (NOT by Plusnet - because they are charged by OpenReach) but because OFCOM allowed them to introduce the charge for the engineer going to the exchange to remove the jumpers BUT OpenReach do NOT NEED TO DO THIS if or until such time as they are visiting the exchange to provide jumpers for the service for someone else. The Internet connection (and hence the service) can be terminated remotely (via software). It is just another excuse for OpenReach to operate inefficiently.
I do wish people would complain to OFCOM about the fact that they allowed this, because until people complain in volume, OFCOM will sit on their sweet F.A's allowing us to be ripped off!
[/rant]
davism

Hello Joanne Pilson, I called from 01273 xxx xxx.
I agree Anotherone, the Cease Charge really ought to mentioned there, ideally also by the sales team when queried at point of contact.
At this time I am not disputing the charge itself but the fact that I was not notified of it...
dick:green Personal details removed from a public forum.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi davism,
Thanks for that. I'll get that looked into. As Kelly intimated before it's something that should be stressed on the sales call.
Jojo