cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account holder name change (Holder deceased)

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Account holder name change (Holder deceased)

Hi
Can anyone from Plusnet advise....  Unfortunately my Father in Law has passed away recently, and I need to change the Account holder name on his account to his wifes, as we want to keep all accounts and contracts as they are, just change the account holders name.
Can you advise on the easiest way to do this.  His wife specifically wants me to deal with all of this, so please dont ask me to get her to get in contact.
I would appreciate speedy advice to resolve the issue.
Many thanks
10 REPLIES 10
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Account holder name change (Holder deceased)

I'm sorry to hear of your loss and I pass on my condolences.
The easiest way to do this would be giving us a call (Customer Options might be the best department for this, on 0800 013 2632 selecting the option for thinking of leaving)
Although I do appreciate that you've said to not ask for the accounts holders wife to contact us, I am sorry to say that we wouldn't be able to move an account/contract in to someone else's name without speaking to them to get their authorisation. The only solution I can really give to this would be for you to call us while she is present and pass the phone over to her so that she can give us authorisation, then you take the discussion from there.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Harry.  I appreciate you comments.
Unfortunately due to the sudden passing, she dosnt want to deal with alot of things, and I am dealing with other issues as well.
Would a letter be appropriate, signed by her containing a copy of the death certificate?
If not the only recourse I have is to cancel the account, this I do not want to do, as it adds more complications to an already sensitive matter.  I would appreciate if a little sensibility could be maintained here. I did set up the account, originally.  I appreciate that you have to abide by data protection etc, but some degree of flexability in most cases is in order.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

See this from a couple of years ago.  That said, I also found this which suggests that this route may not work...
penfold
Aspiring Pro

I would just like to say thanks for the resounding sensitivity plusnet have applied here. They have not made any contact at all regards the sending of a letter or emailing a copy of the death certificate to the given email. Please respond or I will have no option but to advise cancellation and/or transfer of the broadband.  This is in no ones best interests so a response would be welcome.
Thanks
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

A death certificate is never required if a customer wishes to transfer the services into their name.
A death certificate can be supplied in one of two ways:
    Scanned and attached to an e-mail, and sent to the following e-mail address: postroom@plus.net.
    A physical copy sent to the Sheffield office: Plusnet PLC, 2 Pinfold Street, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, S1 2GU
However if transfer of ownership is requested, someone from our Customer Options Team will try to call the customer to go over DPA and ensure the contractual obligations are agreed.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Harry. That makes no sense.... The account holder is deceased. His widow wants me to organise transfer to her name. How hard can this be, for Christ's sake it's an Internet account. As I have said would a letter or raising a ticket on the account attaching the death certificate suffice. If you want to call me, my mobile is on my account, account name [mremoved].
dick:green Username moved from a public forum to a private area with PN staff access
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Quote from: HarryB
I am sorry to say that we wouldn't be able to move an account/contract in to someone else's name without speaking to them to get their authorisation.

You're welcome to send a death certificate and letter requesting transfer of ownership via either of the methods advised in my previous post.
However if transfer of ownership is requested, someone from our Customer Options Team will try to call the customer to go over DPA and ensure the contractual obligations are agreed.

I'm sorry, but you can't agree to move a contract in to someone else's name, it would have to be the person taking ownership of the contract that agrees this with us.
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'm sorry, but you can't agree to move a contract in to someone else's name, it would have to be the person taking ownership of the contract that agrees this with us.

Actually, that makes sense to me.
@penfold
Might it not be easier if you took the account in to your own name? You'd never have DPA issues talking to Plusnet about the account again.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Ok thanks. Will organise a letter and a copy of the certificate. 
@jelv.  Can I have 2 accounts in 1 name?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Yes
Standard thing for someone with a holiday cottage.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)