cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account holder leaving household but would like to keep service

ki3r4n

Account holder leaving household but would like to keep service

Greetings

I live with my brother and the phone/internet is in my name. I'm going to be moving out shortly and in an ideal world I would transfer the account into his name as he is satisfied with the service.

After some searching this seems not to be possible. Is this right? What's the reason for this?

We can't have any downtime as he is working from home, so as I understand it the only way for him to avoid downtime is to sign up with a different provider who will then take over the line from the go-live date. Is this correct?

And I suppose this also means that I won't be able to take the service with me to my new address, so we would both have to leave Plusnet.

Have I got this right?

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Leapy
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 3

Re: Account holder leaving household but would like to keep service

I don't know, but you could just keep paying for the current PN service and get your brother to reimburse you?

As for a new PN service, I think that would be a new contract and I don't know of any law to prevent you from having two IP accounts and paying for them.

flanzm
Pro
Fixes: 15

Assuming you are out of contract, there is nothing to stop your brother signing up as a new customer (which he is) and thereby benefiting from any new customer offers.

This will allow him to take over the line, with a new contract, and you will get a final bill.  If you wanted to you could apply for a house move to take your account to a new property.

ki3r4n

Thanks for the replies.

I thought I was out of contract, but upon checking I actually still have 3 months remaining (forgot I renegotiated), so I don't really want to end early and be charged. 

Moving the account with me to the new address and my brother signing up as a new customer would be fine, except I imagine there might be some downtime which we can't have.

So just leaving it in my name & getting brother to pay me, as Leapy said, might be best idea for now.

If I decided to go with Plusnet at my new address is there any issue with me having multiple Plusnet accounts?

Owain_2
Rising Star

If I decided to go with Plusnet at my new address is there any issue with me having multiple Plusnet accounts?

No, but you may need to have separate email addresses for each account logon.

I don't know if Plusnet can bill multiple locations/services to one account logon. But if they can, you wouldn't get a new customer bonus.

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@ki3r4n wrote:.....

As long as you don't take that landline phone number with you, I don't see a problem.

One person could run a business, home and holiday-home, each with a phone, and they would not be forced to have separate IT service providers.

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@Owain_2 wrote:

....But if they can, you wouldn't get a new customer bonus.

Iv'e never considered getting a new customer bonus, but if he leaves his brother and the existing contract, and gets a new PN account, when his own contract nearly ends, he might be able to introduce his brother as a potential new account, Roll_eyes