cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account closure impasse

adagio
Grafter

Account closure impasse

After a spell in hospital my sister-in-law was unable to return to her home and is now resident in a care home, she is severely physically handicapped by MS. I tried on her behalf to close the Plusnet account in an orderly manner but due to lack of co-operation on PN's part was unable to do so. Consequently I drafted a letter for her to sign cancelling her contract. This has happened so having been notified that this was the case the Direct Debit was cancelled.
I am copied by PN on all communication to my s-i-l and have today received an email which includes the following:-
"In order to allow us to fully close your account we need take a payment from you as soon as possible. To make a payment you can you call our payment line from your landline on 0800 432 0200 or 0345 140 0200 from your mobile between 7.30am and 10pm, 7 days a week. 
It is important that you do this as soon as possible to prevent further recovery action being taken to recover the outstanding amount.  It’s also likely that this action will lead to additional charges being applied to your account."

Nowhere does it say how much or how the charge is made up. PN's approach is Kafkaesque. They won't talk to me, I have already explained to them that she has only a pay-as-you-go mobile and that even putting aside the costs of holding in order to speak to someone she is not physically capable of holding a phone to her ear for 15 minutes let alone the 60 that it is likely to take to talk to someone.
My s-i-l has no intention of avoiding any payment lawfully due. So can PN please either write to her telling her how much (she can then send a cheque) or speak to me when I will be happy to settle the account by credit card?
19 REPLIES 19
adagio
Grafter

Re: Account closure impasse

To add insult to injury PN have sent a "We've replied to your Question" email which was about the account closure.
At the bottom "You can reply to our Support Team or if you're happy with the comment shown above, you can close this Question" but can't do that as login disabled  Angry
adagio
Grafter

Further stupidity - the email was sent to an account which has been closed and to which my sister-in-law no longer has access. How exactly is she expected to respond to it when she can't receive it?  Huh
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Previous topic relating to this saga: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,145124
It's worth noting that this account is only being closed because of Plusnet's unwillingness to co-operate in difficult circumstances when the original intention was for adagio to arrange for the Plusnet service to be moved to the care home.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
adagio
Grafter

My Sister-in-Law has been sent another email @ 06.45 this morning. As I am an authorized contact I have received it. She will not have done so as her PN email has been de-activated Huh Moreover she cannot access her Member Centre account to reply to the aforementioned Question .
About your complaint
Reference number: 113243244
Hello xxxxxxx,
Account username: yyyyyyy
We're sorry for the length of time it's taking to resolve your complaint. We'll continue to do our very best to reach a quick and satisfactory resolution. We'd like to thank you for your understanding and patience while we do this.
Hopefully you know exactly what we're doing to put things right. If you don't, please get in touch with us on 0800 432 0200 or 0345 140 0200.
Plusnet belongs to the Communications and Internet Services Adjudication Scheme, an independent alternative dispute resolution scheme. If you feel we can't resolve your complaint you can contact them to help resolve the dispute, at no cost.
Details are below:

• Address - CISAS, 70 Fleet Street, London, EC4Y 1EU

• Phone - 020 7520 3827

• Website - http://www.cisas.org.uk

What happens next?

In the meantime, we'll carry on working to resolve your issue. If you need anything you can call us on 0800 432 0200 or 0345 140 0200 or reply to the Question on your account.

Best wishes,
Lisa Hardie
Head of Customer Service

She has made no complaint so far as I am aware. She just wants to find out what is owed on account closure and pay it. If someone could tell me I will pay it.
PLEASE could someone from the CRT read this thread and respond Cry
jelv
Seasoned Hero

@adagio
Has anyone been in touch with you about this?
adagio
Grafter

Quote from: spoon
Has anyone been in touch with you about this?

Sadly not
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Angry
Another 24 hours passed - surely someone has been in touch by now? I'm suspecting not as you haven't posted.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Quote from: adagio
She just wants to find out what is owed on account closure and pay it. If someone could tell me I will pay it.

Unfortunately as the account has been closed you'd need to give us a call to make a payment.
If you give us a call and advise that you want to make a payment, the agent you speak to should be able to take a payment without DPA checks. They'll just need the username/other details to find the account.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
adagio
Grafter

@ HarryB
At long last a response  Smiley . Perhaps someone could email her/me detailing the outstanding charge. So far there has been no indication as to what any charge might be for.
adagio
Grafter

Quote from: HarryB

If you give us a call and advise that you want to make a payment, the agent you speak to should be able to take a payment without DPA checks. They'll just need the username/other details to find the account.

When is Plusnet going to provide final invoice?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Looks like the first time you'll be told what's owed is when they pass it on to a debt collection agency! Sad
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Perhaps someone could email her/me detailing the outstanding charge. So far there has been no indication as to what any charge might be for.

Looking at the account, a ticket (115085826) was created on 25/11/15 with a breakdown and total of the outstanding charges.
This ticket was also responded to, querying a letter that had been sent out previously. We then responded apologising for the letter that had been sent early with the incorrect cease date and confirmed when everything was due to be ceased.
There was also another ticket (114771898) on the account that we replied to (Also on 25/11/15) with a breakdown of the charges, the total amount outstanding and confirmation of the date the amount needed to be paid by.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Harry: the account is closed - they can't access the tickets!
I suggest you copy paste the information in to a PM.
Further stupidity - the email was sent to an account which has been closed and to which my sister-in-law no longer has access. How exactly is she expected to respond to it when she can't receive it?  Huh
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

The account was still open and accessible when the breakdown and total amount outstanding were put on the tickets.
Looking at the account, a ticket (115085826) was created on 25/11/15 with a breakdown and total of the outstanding charges.
This ticket was also responded to, querying a letter that had been sent out previously. We then responded apologising for the letter that had been sent early with the incorrect cease date and confirmed when everything was due to be ceased.
There was also another ticket (114771898) on the account that we replied to (Also on 25/11/15) with a breakdown of the charges, the total amount outstanding and confirmation of the date the amount needed to be paid by.

If the account was not accessible, I fail to see how the customer responded to the ticket on the account that had the charges on.
I do appreciate it is no longer accessible, however the information was produced on the account while the account was open. The account was not closed until the date we had advised the amount needed to be paid by.
The best advice I can give now is:
Unfortunately as the account has been closed you'd need to give us a call to make a payment.
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet