Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account Holder Deceased

MC2018
Hooked

Account Holder Deceased

Hi

My mum recently passed away leaving two mobile phone accounts in her name.

One was her own account (which I wish to cancel) and the other was an account she paid for her grandson which I wish to take ownership of in my name.

I am the executor for my mums estate so can anyone advise how I cancel one of the accounts and change the ownership of the other into my name?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Mav
Fixes: 514

Re: Account Holder Deceased

Moderator's note:

@MC2018 Sorry to hear of your loss. I have escalated this so that right team can help you in this difficult time.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there.

Firstly I'm really sorry to hear about your loss, please accept my condolences at what must be a difficult time.

I've sent you an email about this, could you reply to it with the mobile numbers please along with a copy of the death certificate?

Thanks.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MC2018
Hooked

Hi Anoush

I have responded to your email as requested.

Thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks, I'll reply soon.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MC2018
Hooked

Hi

Any update on this?

Just I have had communications from Plusnet threatening to switch off services unless money is paid.  Unfortunately I could not pay by card or change direct debit details.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sorry for the delayed response, I've been looking into this.

I've replied to your email for you now.

I'll pick it up as soon as I can once you get back to me.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MC2018
Hooked

Hi All

Opening this up to the forum for some advice.

Plusnet are stating they cannot change ownership of a mobile account of my late mother into my name 'due to credit checks Plusnet perform'

Can anyone advise if they have successfully transferred ownership of a mobile account into their own name or if there is some law I am unaware of preventing this from taking place?

thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

While I appreciate you're asking the Community for advice, I'd just like to note that we're not able to transfer ownership of a mobile account due to the way our system works when performing credit checks.

I've considered the possibility of opening a new account and transferring your number in to a new plusnet SIM, but again due to the way our system works, this will essentially break the porting process and the number will be lost as numbers can't be transferred from one plusnet SIM/account to another.

Sorry that there doesn't seem to be any other options except to close the account, or transfer to another provider.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MC2018
Hooked

Seems at odds to advice (shown below) given by JonoH back in Nov 2017

Hi all, sorry for the  late response.

Firstly I recognise that this is an incredibly difficult time for anyone going through this and as such our process are designed to be as stress free as possible but I do recognise that we don't always get it right.

If the account holder is deceased we may ask for a copy of the death certificate once we've received this then the following options are available

• Complete closure of the account, waiving all fees and refunding of any unused months Line Rental Saver payments.
  • Transferring of the account to an immediate family member

I hope that goes some way to answering your questions and for anyone experiencing this I'd be happy for them to PM me and I'll resolve it myself.

Options are close or transfer?

This is not something that someone in this situation should have to chase when they have so many other things to sort out.

This does seem to be an ongoing nonsense of a situation from Plusnet when dealing with families going through a bereavement process.

The answer 'our systems cannot cope with a transfer' does not cut it in the modern world of 2018.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Seems at odds to advice (shown below) given by JonoH back in Nov 2017

That process applies for home phone/broadband accounts.

Mobile accounts are handled by a completely different set of systems.

Options are close or transfer?

Unfortunately so.

This is not something that someone in this situation should have to chase when they have so many other things to sort out.

The answer 'our systems cannot cope with a transfer' does not cut it in the modern world of 2018.

Absolutely I agree, but I'm afraid there's not much we can do. As always I'm happy to pass feedback on.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet