Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account Cancellation

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Account Cancellation

according to this http://www.avforums.com/threads/porting-bt-number-to-virgin-question.1672625/
Virgin Media says that customers switching from a BT line to a cable line will normally be able to keep their existing number. Virgin Media adds: If you'd like to do this, just fill in the keeping your own number bit of the online order form. We'll transfer your number when we install your services and this will close your BT account. You'll receive a final bill from BT around a week after you switch your number.
LukeS
Grafter

Quote from: MrT
Virgin are installing phone and broadband on 08 August. I informed PN of this in my letter of 28 July. There's always a chance that Virgin have told something different to PN. I really don't know.

As mentioned above, it's to do with the phone number. If you were moving to Virgin cable with a different phone number then the only way we would know that you wanted your services ceasing is if you told us.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I added that possibility as an edit on my last post.
@MrT I suspect that if your PN telephone account is terminated before Virgin provide your new telephone it may complicate things and they will have to retrieve the number for you. There's a risk you may not keep your number. It's better to let the PN account terminate automatically when Virgin take the number on the 16th rather than you artificially setting a termination date. That way if the Virgin installation is delayed you won't be left without a connection or phone.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@MrT - As jelv has outlined it would be best to allow the Plusnet services to cease as part of the transfer of the number to Virgin. If we action a cease of the phone before they take the number it would indeed cancel their order and the number would drop into the ether.
It's not out of the question to get this back as a bit of contact from Virgin with BT would probably be able to pick it back up with it not being allocated however it will mean a temporary number in the meantime if they attempt to get you back up and running with haste.
MrT
Grafter

Thanks for the many inputs and suggestions.
I understood that my existing number would be ported across to Virgin on 8th August.
Virgin are also booked to install broadband on that date.
Because a transfer to Virgin does not involve a MAC key, I am expecting to have to pay a cessation charge of £30.
If I have to wait until 16th August for my number to transfer, that is not an issue - I'll just use Virgin broadband and Plusnet phone for a few days until the change is actioned.
If the phone does not transfer until 16th Aug, then surely that should also be the account closure date. I just do not know where the 23rd came from.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

If the phone number transfers on the 16th along with cancellation of your phone service, from that date you won't accrue any line rental, broadband or new call charges.
However charges for calls already made could still be working their way through the system. Allowing a few days before closing the account enables these to be picked up so that your final bill/refund amount is accurate.
David
MrT
Grafter

@spraxyt I understand that keeping the account open for a few days to make sure all charges are collected is sensible.
I'll wait and see what Virgin achieve on the 8th August. The way forward should be clearer then.
MrT
Grafter

Quote from: MrT

I'll wait and see what Virgin achieve on the 8th August.

I'm pleased to say that complete installation took just under 1 hour.
Despite various dates being quoted, my telephone was also ported over yesterday.
Internet speeds are over 10x what they were on ADSL2. The fibre speed via BT would have been around 8Mbps (based on what my neighbours are getting) against nearly the full 50Mbps on Virgin.
I would have liked to stay with PlusNet but in the end felt my only choice was switching to Virgin.
LukeS
Grafter

Cheesy
If the decision just comes down to speed, then it's clear why you moved. Let me know if you have any problems with the account cancellation.
MrT
Grafter

@LukeS
Speed was certainly a factor in my decision to move. But there's more to it than that.
The major factor was value for money.
Assuming maximum speeds of 50Mbps (Virgin) and 38Mbps (PN):
My first year with Virgin will cost £67.00 equivalent to £1.34/Mbps
A first year with PN would have cost £112.44 equivalent to £2.96/Mbps
My minimum contract with Virgin is 12 months rather than 18 months with PN.
MrT
Grafter

My account was due to be closed today - it seems it already has as I cannot login!
My final bill is due tomorrow (19th) but if I cannot log in to my account I will not have any way of checking said bill.
Unless, PN email me a fully detailed bill that is.
What is the normal procedure on account closure?
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi MrT,
I've had a look at your account and there isn't an outstanding balance. We wish you luck with your new ISP.