cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account Cancellation

MrT
Grafter

Account Cancellation

Because I am moving to Virgin Media on 08 August, I wrote to PN yesterday requesting cancellation of my account.
Today I received an email giving a move date of 16 August.
Service Notice 200675254 says "7:05pm, Tuesday 29 Jul 2014 Cancellation scheduled for Talk Evenings & Weekends Product 23788614, on 23-08-2014"
I do not understand why the move date has been slipped by 8 days.
Further, I do not understand why the cancellation date is given as 23 August. On my calendar 29 July + 14 days is 12 August.
Can someone from PN please explain and change these dates to their expected values of 08 August and 12 August respectively.
26 REPLIES 26
LukeS
Grafter

Re: Account Cancellation

Hi MrT,
We've not received your letter yet. The move date you've been given will be based on the date the new provider is going to takeover the service. In terms of subscription charges, we will only charge up to the date you transfer over to your new provider but for things like call charges they could be processed after the transfer which is why the cancellation date is set later than the transfer date.
I hope this make sense. If there is anything you're unsure about please let us know.
MrT
Grafter

Royal Mail delivered my letter at 12:36pm on 29 July signed for ref BY395975578GB
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If it was only physically delivered mid day yesterday I think you are being rather unreasonable expecting it to be actioned by the same evening.
As a guide questions are averaging two days to be closed.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
LukeS
Grafter

Hi MrT,
I apologise, it may have been physically received but not processed yet. The reason I pointed this out was to show that it had no affect on the cancellation or dates you have been given.
MrT
Grafter

@jelv I was only responding to LukeS to update him about the receipt of my letter. Nothing unreasonable about that!
@LukeS I'm not sure I understand what your saying. The receipt of my letter should result in account closure on 12 Aug rather than the 23rd. That's if I understand your policy.
LukeS
Grafter

Hi MrT,
I completely understand what you're saying. Once the letter has been processed then we'll be able to take that into account.
However, if we were to cancel the services on the 12th of August, this would affect your migration to your new provider. If you're asking us to cease the service before the migration completes then a cessation fee will apply and possibly a re-provide fee with your new provider. Additionally, you'd be without service between the 12th and the 16th. (Please note this paragraph is only based on information you've provided in the post)
Everything appears to be fine to me, I believe my first reply answers your questions about the dates.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

As he is apparently moving to cable I fail to see where that is relevant
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Don't think that is likely to be the case as it can only be a service takeover otherwise Plusnet would not have been given the date the new service is due to start (unless the OP had communicated this to Plusnet before sending the letter).
Quote from: LukeS
The move date you've been given will be based on the date the new provider is going to takeover the service.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I was going by this
Quote from: MrT
I'm in a Virgin cable area. The speed they offer cannot be matched by BT/PN as my cabinet is too far away. My next door neighbour gets a speed of 8Mbps from PN Fibre so my speed would likely be similar. This is double my ADSL2 speed but still not much use for iPlayer, etc.
My LRS is due for renewal in just over 1 month from now so I have a major decision to make!  Undecided
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Methinks we're missing some crucial information here.
If it is a swap to Virgin cable, I don't believe they would be notifying BTw or Plusnet, so where did the date of 16th come from?
Edit: I wonder if the telephone number is being moved across - then there would be communication from Virgin.
MrT
Grafter

Virgin are installing phone and broadband on 08 August. I informed PN of this in my letter of 28 July. There's always a chance that Virgin have told something different to PN. I really don't know.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Virgin won't have told PN anything as their broadband and phone service is independent of the BT Wholesale phone line the PN use.  There's nothing to stop you having both a VM service and an xDSL service at the same time and the installation of the VM setup will not have triggered any cancellation process.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

and the installation of the VM setup will not have triggered any cancellation process
Unless MrT requested to transfer the number, then what happens ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Good point.  Oops!