cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About to Cancel my service with Plusnet

DBWhite

About to Cancel my service with Plusnet

Or ... where the HELL is my fibre broadband router?
When Fibre broadband finally became available in my village the other month, I decided to upgrade my service from ADSL to Fibre Broadband. I placed my upgrade order on 29th April and booked the installation for Wed 6th May 2015 (first available slot) and duly received a text saying my router had been despatched.
On Wed 6th May the BT engineer turned up and completed the necessary changes to my wall socket and I was ready to go... however.... no Fibre router had been delivered. Thinking the Bank Holiday may have delayed the post, I waited until Friday 8th May before calling PlusNet customer service.
Upon calling customer service, I was informed the router had been sent to my previous address, (which I haven't lived at for 2+ years) - but another router would be despatched asap, to my current address. I asked if it could be overnighted to my address (bearing in mind, by this point we've been without Internet for nearly a week, and I need Internet access as I work a lot from home) and was informed they cannot do this, they do not have the facility. By Monday 11th,I still had not received a text to confirm shipping - so called Customer Support again, and was again assured the Fibre router would be shipped that same day (Monday) by parcel post, (after having asked the same question about overnight shipping). Later in the afternoon, I received a txt confirming the router 'is on its way
... as of Friday 15th May --- STILL NO ROUTER.
I think what astounds me about this experience with Plusnet Customer Service - is the complete lack of empathy the Call Center Representatives had and how little empowerment to do 'what is right for the customer' they have. I even HAD TO ASK for billing not to begin until the router had turned up, and no charges to be applied for postage. I have worked for a large corporation and managed several of their call centers ... AND this is not how customer service should be done. Putting right any mistakes made (as quickly as possible), doing what it takes to keep that customer AND enabling customer services representatives to help the customer in anyway possible .... is how you build a World Class support service ... and so far, it doesn't feel like that.
What I still cannot believe, is that they are unable to ship a new router out to an EXISTING customer via a normal parcel carrier, who can get the router here the next day!
Well, our post is usually delivered around 1pm each - if by then the router is not here ... guess who is cancelling this service, and going elsewhere. If plusnet do not want my £30+ per month, I know other providers who will.
5 REPLIES 5
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: About to Cancel my service with Plusnet

I'm really sorry for the problem getting a router out to you, this shouldn't be as difficult as it's proving to be.
The router has been dispatched so I'd have fully expected this to be with you today, if not before.
Unfortunately we don't hold stock of the routers at the office here, so I can't put one in recorded delivery for you but hopefully it'll arrive today anyway.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
DBWhite

Thanks Chris - I appreciate the follow up and understand this must also be frustrating for you and your support team.
I have also emailed Andy Baker (plusnet CEO, andy.baker@plus.net) with a copy of this posting ... I am extremely frustrated, annoyed and dismayed that something as simple as this should be so difficult.
DBWhite

EPIC FAIL! - no router turned up in todays post. Because there is no tracking number, I cant even see where it is - and when you're told it will take 3-4 days - you kind of expect it to here.
Off to cancel my service.
derfledermause

If you are adamant you want to cancel your service I would advise caution. I was promised installation on a certain date and have the emails and texts to prove it, when the engineer did not turn up, in absolute anger and frustration I phoned PlusNet to cancel my account. They knew full well that my wife and I are both disabled pensioners and needed constant telephone service. I phoned back 20 minutes later to reinstate my account, in tears I might add, I was assured all would be OK and not to worry. We lost telephone communication for 30 hours, that night we required assistance and could not contact the doctors service.
Be warned that PlusNet is most definitely NOT what the TV adverts intimate.
regards,
TheFlyingMouse.
DBWhite

Thanks FlyingMouse ... I have just cancelled the service. Our postman has been and gone - still no router. Sorry to hear about your dilemma, luckily my wife and I have mobile phones, and don't use the land line (we do not even have a telephone plug into it). I think the need to have a land line is such a rip off anyways.
What I am so flabbergasted about, is that the Customer Support team (I feel sorry for these guys) doesn't even have the ability to expedite a shipment to a customer when things go wrong. In the world of next day delivery --- all I have to say is WTF!
I used to work in a large Corp (Xbox) and if there was a mess up with any customer, our second tier support team would pull out all the stops to make the customer happy again. Loosing customers is a very expensive option for most organisations .... clearly PlusNet and Andy Baker do not give a rip about retaining their customers.