Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Phone & BB question

Routefinder
Grafter

A Phone & BB question

Hi All
We are considering moving phone to PN so hope someone can answer in regard to the billing? 
On the bill itself does it show the Phone element(s) as separately listed part to the BB....................yes, I surmise the total shows all but I am more concerned about how the two parts are shown on the bill???
TIA  Smiley
8 REPLIES 8
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Re: A Phone & BB question

The bill shows, as separate items, call charge, broadband charge, line rental, and call plan charge.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Also Caller Display charge if you have that.
David
Routefinder
Grafter

Hi both
Many thanks for the detailed information, much appreciated  Smiley Smiley
Edit ~ I know not a billing question but if we go for Phone & Fibre BB what is the sequence of events re timeframes for the phone switchover and then Fibre BB being installed???  This bearing in mind we are currently with BT and I was lead to understand the transition to PN from BT is much more straightforward than say from Sky to PN  Wink
spraxyt
Resting Legend

(I assume currently you have broadband with Plusnet.)
Phone transfers from BT should take 14 days. This is gaining provider led and the 14 days is an Ofcom regulation to allow time for an unwanted transfer to be cancelled. The transfer should be seamless.
Until that completes I don't think a broadband order can be placed so the FFTC order goes in (say) 15 days after order placed and takes as long as it takes. Suppose that is 10 days. Total time to FTTC available is 25 days.
If the transfer is done FTTC first then that becomes available in 10 days. The phone order goes in on day 11 again taking 14 days to complete. Total time is still 25 days but FTTC will have been available much sooner.
So which do you regard as the higher priority - move phone to Plusnet or upgrade to FTTC? Bear in mind that (I think) FTTC slippage is higher risk than phone transfer slippage. If FTTC is done first it could lead to the phone transfer also slipping.
I think given a free hand Plusnet would provide FTTC first because the "same" phone service continues whether BT or Plusnet.provide the service (as long as billing isn't an issue).
David
Routefinder
Grafter

Hi
Many thanks for the outline of the two possible sequences.
We are still crunching the numbers re the phone service.  Grin
We are on PN Premier Unlimited and personally I would prefer the FTTC to be sorted first as that requires engineer intervention....................though how is the phone service transferred???  And does the billing date have any bearing in regard to the changeover from ADSL to Fibre???
So if we decide to switch the phone as well as upgrade the BB to FTTC do I surmise from what you say that a chat with the COT person can sort out which order of events will happen based on our choice?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Switching phone has a minimum 10 working day lead time - OFCOM anti slamming rules - and I have no idea what the current lead time for fibre is but you will be given date options of which you can accept one or request a later one
As you are already a Plusnet broadband customer the change to Fibre would be unrelated to any change of phone supplier
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Your billing date will remain as it is now if FTTC and/or phone are added. Pro rata payments will be used to align the dates. Phone switching just happens. I assume dialling tone could be lost for a short time, don't know whether re-patching is necessary in the exchange (eg to switch from Openreach to BT Wholesale links). When my phone service switched from BT to Plusnet I didn't notice.
I think Plusnet's automated system would do the broadband change first, then move phone if both are added. I'm not entirely sure, but moving phone first might require manual management of the process by the provisioning team.
From how you describe your thoughts I suggest letting Plusnet handle the changes as it suits them. Contacting the COT could be worthwhile if you do decide to move your phone service.
David
Routefinder
Grafter

Thanks again guys for the feedback & insight Smiley
Once we have finished crunching the numbers re our BT account and calls usages compared to the PN package I will call the COT as needed and pickup where I left off with them as to the 'options' they gave me and as such if Phone & BB chosen ask whether either method of making the switch & upgrade is possible  Wink