cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

40% price rise for me!!

abrdf
Dabbler

40% price rise for me!!

I Have been with plusnet for nearly six years and I'm currently coming to the end of a one year pay up front line rental deal which ends in October and a one year deal on broadband, I will have paid a total of £200 pounds.
I have been looking around for a new deal either with PN or another.
Plusnet = £281 for year (todays rates)
Talk talk = £230 for a year (todays rates)
Obviously I want good value and the increase from plusnet is over 40% for the same service without the October price increase!
When I spoke with PN customer retentions (they gave me the new deal) they told me that although my exchange is unbundled to TT they have to charge market one rates and that TT all providers have to do the same, is this true or are PN just telling me a white lie! TT website gave me the new figures when I gave it my details.
Any advise.... I live in a rural area with no cable and high BT costs.
Thanks
16 REPLIES 16
James
Grafter

Re: 40% price rise for me!!

Hi,
If your exchange is market 1, all ISPs that use that exchange via BT will have to pay BT Wholesale a higher cost.
I'm not sure how pricing works for LLU based supliers (like TalkTalk).
abrdf
Dabbler

Why did retentions lie to me about TT then.
Seems like PN just wants to fleece existing customers this just increases "churning"
James
Grafter

I didn't say they lied.  I said I wasn't sure what they are charged.
As they have to buy service from Openreach I would imagine that cost may also be higher on those types of exchanges.
abrdf
Dabbler

The retentions team obviously lied or at best tried to mislead me regarding TT's pricing and said that the TT web site and broadband choices was incorrect..... you can listen to my call.
abrdf
Dabbler

your replies don't address the 40% increase without the current price hikes!
abrdf
Dabbler

Silence from PN
James
Grafter

It's primarily down to your already being on a heavily discounted offer.
The price of your package would normally be £19.99 as opposed to the £8.99 you are currently paying for your broadband. The prices to your broadband product are not increasing, merely that your discount period is coming to an end.
abrdf
Dabbler

I understand that..... but you dont have that package any longer.
Why so more than TT and the lies from retentions re TT charges
James
Grafter

It's entirely up to TalkTalk what they charge.  If they elect to charge less than us it's entirely up to them.
You haven't been lied to, just a misunderstanding.
abrdf
Dabbler

Please listen to first of two calls, you will here your colleague lying to me..... not a misunderstanding!
He say that TT will have to charge the market one rate and the TT and broadband choices web sites are incorrect and he know best.
inhost
Grafter

Sounds about right, misdirection blamed on misunderstanding that takes the same question to be asked 4 times to get any sort of reply... welcome to plusnet, we should be an indian call centre for all the quality we offer in terms of customer support and transparency!
abrdf
Dabbler

Time to leave plusnet when my telephone prepayment finishes.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

abrdf; not supporting Plusnet but.........you can be on a Market 1 exchange but TT/Sky may have unbundled it to provide LLU services which allows them to offer cheaper prices.
The problem is that OFCOM have not updated the market classification list for several years so that exchanges that should be now Mkt 2/3 are still shown on PN's database as Mkt 1 -so Mkt 1 (higher) prices!!
Several of us have been banging our heads on this particular brick wall for some time!!
I have a 12 month deal ending next June and its likely that I'll be forced onto Sky/TT if the current deal is not re-offered.  Cry
pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

The problem is that OFCOM have not updated the market classification list for several years so that exchanges that should be now Mkt 2/3 are still shown on PN's database as Mkt 1

Its all very well and good blaming OFFCOM for this mess, but why arent plusnet complaining/protesting/lobbyinig offcom/giving iffcom a severe kick up the backside to get things sorted.
Plusnets silence on this is very telling, basically they dont give a flying fuck and are happy to let customers pay significantly more as they cant be arsed to lobby offcom to get things sorted.
Sometime in September i will be able to get fibre, but have you seen the extortionate rates plusnet charge on market 1 exchanges?
When my line rental saver is up in November i shall seriously be considering moving to an LLU provider, as BT wholesale are not the sole provider of bbroadband at my local market 1 exchange, sdespite what plusnet and its oh-so- cosy relationship with OFFCOM may say.