cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

14 days notice required

mikegriffiths2

14 days notice required

I have received an email from you saying that my contract is nearly up. It says I have to give you 14 days notice, even when the contract is over.  How can you impose any conditions on me if I don't have a contract?  And how do I give 14 day's notice?  If I give 14 day's notice how would I guarantee that a new provider is going to start on that day?  Or can they start any time after the 14 days is over?

7 REPLIES 7
i_smell_bull
Hooked

Re: 14 days notice required

I'm hitting a similar issue trying to move to someone else.

Other companies I have spoken to have a week or more flexibility at the end of the contract to allow the switch to be made by openreach. NOT PLUSNET. If I sign up with someone else today then the switch will be in 10-14 days and plusnet will fine me an early termination charge, EVEN THOUGH I HAVE ALREADY PAID TO THE END OF THE CONTRACT. If i leave it so that the 10-14 days happens after the end of the contract then plusnet will bill me there extortionate end of contract charges. I am left with no option that just lets a clean switch happen without plusnet trying to charge me.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

A transfer of a line to another provider takes 10 working days minimum so if you do that, you’ll be fulfilling the 14 day notice period automatically.

To avoid an early termination fee and paying an out of contract cost, why not ask your new provider to complete the switch-over on the first day after your minimum term ends? Smiley

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
i_smell_bull
Hooked

Thanks for your reply, but how can I make an openreach 10-14 day estimate happen on a certain day and avoid both the fine and the next month charge. That's why other companies allow a week or so flexibility at the end of the contract so that the 10-14 days vagueness is workable.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

It’s not vague really, it’s minimum 10 working days to transfer a line. If you sign up to your new provider with at least this time frame before your minimum term ends, then ask them to change the completion date to after the term expires then you won’t get an early termination fee. 

If your transfer completes on the first day after your contract expires then you won’t be charged an out of contract cost bar perhaps that 1 day.

[edit]

Or if you transfer 1 day before your contract ends then while you’ll get an early termination fee for 1 day you’ll also get a pro rata credit for that day you’ve paid for a service you’ve not had. That’s assuming your bill date aligns up to your contract end date though. 

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

When i've transferred in the past, the gaining provider asks you what date you want the transfer to take place and gives you the earliest date they have available. You can normally choose the date yourself. The gaining provider handles the transfer, DO NOT tell Plusnet you are leaving or you could end up with a ceased line and the charge/ delays for that.

mikegriffiths2

Thanks, but the email says I have to give 14 days' notice even after the contract ends.  (Which seems like very sharp practice to me.)

And when you say I'd be fulfilling the 14 day notice "automatically" do you mean that I don't need to tell Pusnet, the new provider will do it?  If not, how do I ensure there is no gap between the two providers?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to me @mikegriffiths2 

While your minimum term contract may have ended, you're still in contract with us afterwards and bound by our terms and conditions including 14 day notice period, albeit you'd be on a rolling 30 day contract term.

This notice period is a bit irrelevant though, because it takes that or longer depending on engineer availability to move between providers so all you'd need to do is place an order with your chosen provider and they'll do the leg work. 

Their order will trigger a notification in the Openreach systems to cease our service and they should start their service on the day that happens. This is assuming that you plan to go to another provider on the Openreach network. If you're going to a cable provider such as Virgin Media you'd need to call us on 0800 013 2632 so we can manually cease your services.

Let us know if you've got any further queries.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Typo corrected.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet