cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12, 18 month contracts. Confused by line rental.

christmas
Aspiring Pro

12, 18 month contracts. Confused by line rental.

Just been looking at broadband only products I noticed unlimited broadband is £2.99 a month for a year with a 12 month contract, then rises to £9.99. At the end of 12 or 18 months am I automatically in another 12 or 18 month contract?
I'm only interested in Broadband but the quote includes a fee of £14.50 per month for line rental, which I can't seem to deselect.
Something else, wouldn't most people these days already have a modem/router, if they are worth £40 and not required couldn't the money saved pay the activation fee?
13 REPLIES 13
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: 12, 18 month contracts. Confused by line rental.

'Broadband Only' is rather more expensive than 'Broadband & Phone' packages, see http://www.plus.net/home-broadband/broadband-only/
(Of course you aren't paying Plusnet line rental with the Broadband Only option).
What the router is 'worth' is a matter of opinion but you can be sure it doesn't cost Plusnet £40.00
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
James
Grafter

Hi Christmas,
You need to take line rental with us in order to get the lower price broadband.
You are not automatically recontracted at the end of the contract.  You can do so by speaking with our customer options team though.
christmas
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for the replies.
The quotes lets say for Essentials Broadband priced from £8.49 a month, have options such as to remove the cost of P&P for the modem/router but there didn't seem to be option to have PlusNet broadband without a PlusNet line. Does that mean I will have to have two lines one for the phone and one for PlusNet broadband?
Where's the pricing for PlusNet broadband without a PlusNet phone line?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Broadband only prices are on the tab with that heading https://portal.plus.net/home-broadband/broadband-only/. "Line rental" is mentioned on that page, but if you click this link it tells you you need a BT line which doesn't have to be Plusnet provided.
The prices shown on this page are for low cost (Market 2 & 3) exchanges. Costs are £7 per month more on Market 1 exchanges. Those prices can be found by expanding the Here's the legal bit text.
David
christmas
Aspiring Pro

@ spraxyt
Thank you for the response.
I did select the Broadband Tab and went through the 'Start Order' process and at the end the estimate/quote the price displayed includes a phone line rental charge which I'm unable to deselect/remove. I'm already paying a phone line rental but not to PlusNet, why's a line rental charge been added to the PlusNet Broadband Only estimate?
I thought before people could choose whatever phone company they liked and select any broadband provider they liked, has that changed?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

At the top of the choose broadband product have you not got

Filter your choices
Broadband & Phone        Broadband Only
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I believe you must have an existing 'BT Based' phone line to order 'Broadband only', if your existing phoneline is from a cable or LLU supplier that may be the problem.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
christmas
Aspiring Pro

PlusNet James wrote
You need to take line rental with us in order to get the lower price broadband.

But I could not see an option not to take a line rental with PlusNet, to see the higher price.
Just been looking at Talk Talks their unlimited broadband is £2:50 with a line rental charge of £15:40 = £17:90 per month.
PlusNet is shown at £9.99 plus a line rental of £14:50 = £24:49 per month.
Is Talk Talks line rental cheaper because they will become the phone line provider as well?
Does it now mean customers can no longer maintain their current phone line provider if they switch Broadband supplier?
I assume Talk Talks or whoever aren't going to lay a new phone cable to the house, what if I already have PlusNet Broadband and switch to Talk Talks phone service would they say you can't do that?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Yes I believe TalkTalk's unlimited broadband pricing is based on them becoming the phone line provider too.
For Plusnet their unlimited broadband and calls offering is currently £2.99 + £14.50 line rental. Total £17.49 per month for 12 months.
Plusnet also offer unlimited broadband only at £12.49 per month.
Screen snips from the sales pages of these are shown in the first two attachments. The Broadband only page includes a line rental link which, if clicked, displays the message shown in the third attachment. This mentions the need for a BT based landline but doesn't require that to be with Plusnet.
Does you current line satisfy that requirement?
David
christmas
Aspiring Pro

Think I understand know. If the wire into house goes back to a BT exchange then it's possible to have PlusNet broadband even if the phone service is provided by a non BT company.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The critical thing is that the phone line service must be provided by BT Wholesale. They do not sell the direct to the public but through resellers such as BT Retail, Plusnet, The Post Office and many others.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Apprentice
Grafter

Quote from: christmas
Think I understand know. If the wire into house goes back to a BT exchange then it's possible to have PlusNet broadband even if the phone service is provided by a non BT company.

Do you have a bundle of phone and broadband with Sky and are both products via their LLU based network?
If you're not sure what LLU is all about this might help to some degree.  Smiley
christmas
Aspiring Pro

No bundle with Sky, I found the reference to BT Landline confusing. I'm not clear why the quote includes the cost of line rental, when all I've asked for is Broadband.