cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

£114 Moving fee!

reecebuck92

£114 Moving fee!

I recently called Plusnet to talk about my home move and was advised in order to set up my fibre internet at my new home it would cost £114 to call out an engineer to do so. 

I had previously researched to check if my new home could receive fibre and it was available in my home and was actually super fast if I wanted it. 

I questioned Plusnet why this was costing so much and their response was:

"that's the charge we incur from BT and we have to pass that cost on to you as you have moved".

I contacted BT and they advised as a new customer it would only cost me £20 to call out an engineer and activate the new line. 

Why are Plusnet charging me £94 more than BT would? 

1 REPLY 1
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: £114 Moving fee!

Hi there.

The £114.99 charge consists of a house move fee of £65. This covers the cost of ceasing the service at your previous address and activating the service at your new address. If we need to arrange a new line installation, it's £49.99.

I contacted BT and they advised as a new customer it would only cost me £20 to call out an engineer and activate the new line.

It's likely that as an ISP BT Retail/Consumer might be subsidising the cost as a new customer.

Our services are provided by the wholesale division of BT.

We'd offer to cover the entire cost over the duration of a new 24 month contract.

I hope this helps clarify things.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet