cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

£1.50 fee to pay whilst changing direct debit

benrm
Hooked

£1.50 fee to pay whilst changing direct debit

I have just had to pay £1.50 on top of my usual monthly charge for BB. My error? To change my DD to a new bank account. Surely this is an unfair charge for a mistake. When making the change no warning is given about this. I think it's excessive. Hasn't npower just been fined for overcharging customers ust because they didn't pay by DD? I like to straight talking nature and easy to chat to plusnet and service provided so very disappointed at this fee. 
39 REPLIES 39
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: £1.50 fee to pay whilst changing direct debit

This has come up many times before. Really on the page where you change the details there should be a warning that you should not do this less than 10 days before your next billing date. I thought something was supposed to be done but I've just looked and there's nothing there to warn people. Ideally the time to make the change is immediately after you've been billed.
All the cases I've seen have had the £1.50 refunded because of the lack of a warning.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
benrm
Hooked

Yes that would be a good idea. The £1.50 charge is there to encourage DD payment imo but its applied whatever so that's unfair. Its a casr of computer says no I think. I'll make a complaint and hoprfully have it refunded.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi benrm,
Welcome to the Forums!
I'm sorry to hear you were charged the £1.50 charge for paying via card when you are in the process of updating your Direct Debit details. I've created Ticket: 87144158 on your account and I hope this resolves the issue for you.
Apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Richchad
Rising Star

Quote from: benrm
I have just had to pay £1.50 on top of my usual monthly charge for BB. My error? To change my DD to a new bank account. Surely this is an unfair charge for a mistake. When making the change no warning is given about this. I think it's excessive. Hasn't npower just been fined for overcharging customers ust because they didn't pay by DD? I like to straight talking nature and easy to chat to plusnet and service provided so very disappointed at this fee. 

This is exactly what I have just found, applied to change my DD as changing banks, it is in the process of setting up now, my DD is due on 19th, however had email this morning saying my card details needing updating.
So in my account it showed I was paying by DD with my new bank, but below showed no card details but suggested they could be added in case problems with paying by DD.
I thought, ok, better add them in case a problem, then found my default payment is now by card and the shows above that a £1.50 monthly charge for this..! No mention of this prior to adding card details, and no way it seems to remove my card details.... Seems very unfair as I have paid by DD for many many years now.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Richchad,
Sorry for any confusion caused regarding your payment details.
If your Direct Debit details activate before your next billing date then your default payment will be DD instead of via card payment. If the DD details are not activated by the time that your billing date rolls around then we will use your card details to take payment instead. If you would like me to remove your card details I can do this, however, please note that if your DD details do not activate by your billing date then payment will fail and you would have to call us to make payment via card anyways.
Please let us know how you would like to proceed and we can make any applicable changes to your account.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Plus, if the new DD is not active in time and you pay by card (either card on your account or by phoning in) you will be charged an extra £1.50 for not paying by DD. Post on here if that happens and I think Linn will refund it.
Richchad
Rising Star

Quote from: Linn
Hi Richchad,
Sorry for any confusion caused regarding your payment details.
If your Direct Debit details activate before your next billing date then your default payment will be DD instead of via card payment. If the DD details are not activated by the time that your billing date rolls around then we will use your card details to take payment instead. If you would like me to remove your card details I can do this, however, please note that if your DD details do not activate by your billing date then payment will fail and you would have to call us to make payment via card anyways.
Please let us know how you would like to proceed and we can make any applicable changes to your account.

Thanks for the reply, I am happy to leave my card details in case DD not set up in time, however I am not happy to be charged £1.50 for a simple admin operation, which maybe caused by how quickly you applied for the new DD.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

... or how how quickly Plusnet mark the DD as active on their system after they get the reply from the bank.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

As jelv has pointed out - we submit the details to your bank as soon as you provide us with the new instructions, however, the time that it takes for your bank to set the details up on their end and respond to us stating this has been done is time that we're not in control of. I can appreciate that you have no control of this either Undecided I'll leave your card details active on your account as requested.
Give me a shout on here via a PM if you do get charged the £1.50 on your next invoice and I'll look at sorting that out for you.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: jelv
... or how how quickly Plusnet mark the DD as active on their system

As I've commented on elsewhere, and PN are undoubtedly aware, the whole PN system around DD's isn't really fit for purpose.
I understand that a new system is planned that should resolve many of the problems, meanwhile it would be helpful for PN to be a bit more open, honest and upfront about potential problems.  Lips_are_sealed
Something that clearly explains that occasionally difficulties and delays may occur due to "system limitations" in the interfaces to some banks and that an interim payment by card may be the best way to resolve this. And of course a statement along the lines that any "additional charges added automatically to non-DD payments will of course be refunded in such situations, but please do draw this to our attention by a ticket or phone call so that it is dealt with promptly."  Wink
Richchad
Rising Star

Quote from: Linn
Give me a shout on here via a PM if you do get charged the £1.50 on your next invoice and I'll look at sorting that out for you.

Thanks, will see how it goes over the next few days, hopefully you will manage to take the DD in time.
Richchad
Rising Star

Before I made my post on here I had raised a ticket asking for my card details to be removed, which they have.
However I posted my question twice by accident.. and have now received answers my two support team members..
Answer 1
Thank you for your enquiry regarding Direct Debit payment  The Direct Debit Request was on the 12/06/14.
We normally expect this to go through in 5 to 7 working days, however this can take up to 14 days to be full set up.
Once the direct debit instruction has been fully set up this will become your default payment method,
However if this is not completed by your billing date which is 19/06/2014  the payment will be taken from your debit/credit card and will be subject to the £1.50 surcharge
Answer 2
If you are changing banks then this will be why you will of been sent an email asking for your payment details, as your old direct debit will of been cancelled and we will not hold any payment details for you.
I can see the direct debit instruction is still pending on your account and can take up to 14 days to be activated. It might not be activated before your next billing date 19/06/2014. If this is the case you will need to make payment online or over the phone 0800 432 0200 on a credit/debit card.
Once the direct debit has been setup you will not be charged for £1.50 none direct debit charge.
I like answer 2 which seems to understand my problem and why I should not be charged.
So as my card details have been deleted will someone contact me if DD can't be taken or if I ring, when do I ring?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Quote from: Richchad
Answer 1
Once the direct debit instruction has been fully set up this will become your default payment method,
However if this is not completed by your billing date which is 19/06/2014  the payment will be taken from your debit/credit card and will be subject to the £1.50 surcharge
Answer 2
It might not be activated before your next billing date 19/06/2014. If this is the case you will need to make payment online or over the phone 0800 432 0200 on a credit/debit card.
Once the direct debit has been setup you will not be charged for £1.50 none direct debit charge.

These answer say exactly the same thing, albeit differently...
Answer 1 - If DD not in place then you will have to pay by card and be charged £1.50
Answer 2 - If DD not in place then you will have to pay by card and AFTER (once) the DD is in place you will no longer be charged £1.50

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Richchad
Rising Star

Quote from: Townman

These answer say exactly the same thing, albeit differently...
Answer 1 - If DD not in place then you will have to pay by card and be charged £1.50
Answer 2 - If DD not in place then you will have to pay by card and AFTER (once) the DD is in place you will no longer be charged £1.50

Yes but answer 1doesn't mention anything about not being charged or refunded, it just says once DD set up will be my default payment but I will be charged £1.50