cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when does a text message become an MMS?

oscar80

when does a text message become an MMS?

I want to send a message but don't know how long it can be before it turns into a mms?  No emojis are used. Can't it's just gone to 002/3.

Tags (2)
7 REPLIES 7
matthews
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: when does a text message become an MMS?

After 480 characters (if memory serves) so you should be able to get nearly 3 SMSs worth of message in there (there's a bit over overhead for linking the messages together so you won't get the full 480 chars I don't think)

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Hi oscar80,

Thanks for getting in touch with us. An SMS will generally convert to MMS after 160 characters however, this does vary dependant on your handset itself. 

Most, if not all handsets, do usually have an option within the settings to enable or disable MMS messaging.

Hope this helps!

- Rebeka Smiley

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

As Rebeka says you can disable them entirely either through the handset or your text app, or set it to break long sms messages into multiple texts rather than turn it into a mms. you'll have to look at the phone settings and your text app settings as they can vary.

Mav
Fixes: 515

Although I don't have a Plusnet mobile SIM (SWMBO does) I am with EE I find that the Samsung Galaxy S5 mini changes to MMS after 3 messages worth. Yet if I use MyPhoneExplorer to compose and send the message it allows 5 messages worth even though it is still being sent through the phone.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

Are there not settings to increase that in your Samsung S5?

Mav
Fixes: 515

Not that I have found.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

I don't know if PN can, but our phone operator has disabled MMS messaging at their end at our request.

(when we asked for this to be disabled as they didn't fall in to the category of our text allowance, once they did this they sent a text that updates the APN settings automatically)

If we accidentally add an emoji, our handsets (multiple brands) pop a warning message up before trying to send. I know for sure that at least one plain text message was 4 pages long and that sent just fine as an SMS.