Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using plusnet sim in a 3g/4g usb dongle

cjags
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

using plusnet sim in a 3g/4g usb dongle

I have a Vodafone K4201 HSPA+ USB dongle (which is basically a badged Huawei). I would like to use the PlusNet sim instead of the Vodafone one. I have the Plusnet sim installed and have changed the dongle's access point settings to EE. The dongle lights up but there doesn't appear to be a data connection. Do I need to do anyuthing else? The 3G dongle works fine with a Vodafone sim and the Plusnet sim works in an Android mobile phone (with data).
5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: using plusnet sim in a 3g/4g usb dongle

I wonder if it's a similar problem to that with tethering on some phones? I guess the dongle acts in a tethering mode. On phones with the problem it can sometimes be fixed by adding DUN to the APN options.

Try googling 'tether dun required'

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cjags
Aspiring Pro

Checking on the vodafone forum, it could be the dongle is still locked to the vodafone network (even though it is fairly old).  Have requested an unlock code from vodafone just to make sure.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Very likely, most dongles tend to be supplied licked

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

johnanderson

You can use a router manufactured by Netgear which are as affordable as Vodafone dongles. You can visit https://netgears.support/netgear-technical-support/

cjags
Aspiring Pro

I ended up getting an EE 4G wifi device from the Currys sale for £5. EE have some reasonable PAYG data only SIM packages. Way cheaper than VF.