cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

texting using short code numbers ?

bobboulby
Grafter

Re: Disappointing

Just discovered this trying to make a donation to a charity appeal. I can't believe that short numbers are not supported!

Bob.

Brightonian
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

I've just cancelled my PN Mobile package (within 14 days) due to the absence of SMS short codes.
I told the PN Mob rep how disappointed I was and that it was this issue which was the deal breaker (although the EE network isn't the strongest network signal in my areas of usage).
There are many non-premium short codes. I was intending to send texts to BBC programmes, but the NHS and financial institutions would also have been useful. I suggested the short code availability should be a selectable option from your PN Mob a/c.
The absence of short codes should be identified in the T&Cs; a PN Live Chat operative couldn't direct me to this element.
PLUSNET PLEASE RECONSIDER THIS POLICY 😡
Tags (1)
OliGaffney
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 7

Good morning Smiley

I have passed on a suggestion to have short codes enabled on Plusnet plans.

I, of course, can't guarantee anything will be changed, but we're listening!

Thank you all for your comments and feedback; greatly appreciated, as always!

Thanks

-Oli

jgfrancis
Grafter

I understand that for business reasons short codes are not enabled, as this is something that differentiates Plusnet from the more expensive host network EE.

But, please, Plusnet make it clear on the tariff pages that this service is not available. Potential customers can then make an informed choice before signing up, preventing the bad reviews and terminated contracts when it becomes clear that short codes are not supported.

Brightonian
Dabbler

Upon further investigation of other mobile operators, I have concluded that short code texts are often excluded from (particularly MVNOs) tariff text allowances.

The issue appears to be the operators' difficulty in identifying a premium charged short code.

I have emailed Ofcom (contact@ofcom.org.uk) to request they review the short code number ranges, in order for operators to identify those associated with premium charges so that customers via their account, can opt-in if they wish to use premium number texts or calls.

Maybe those of you who have a similar view can also email Ofcom by way of a campaign.
Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

The issue appears to be the operators' difficulty in identifying a premium charged short code.

Surely that would apply to all operators? I know Sky, like PN, don't support shortcodes at all.

Brightonian
Dabbler

Yes, it isn't only Plusnet (ref my 1st para)
Smiley
Selgovae
Grafter

What about Virgin Mobile? I was thinking of leaving Plusnet for them but not sure if they support short codes.
Does anyone know?
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Well this was 10 or so years ago, but when I was on Vodafone I used to get reversed charged text messages. Around 70p per month. They were unhelpful and said it was nothing to do with them, you must have signed up to something (I hadn't). You think how much they must have scammed off x number of people.

Got another one which ended up me complaining to me on Hotmail to them. I was shocked they didn't ignore me when I moaned and asked for my money back. They posted me a £5 note.

Problem is if it a small amount, people won't even notice, and even if they do not bother to complain.

So I think you can gather I don't like reverse charge SMS's after my "experience". If a company doesn't support them, then that for me a bonus.

If people want to donate to charity, can't you just ring them or place a donation on-line?

davebiffuk
Grafter

Hello Oli,

I'm posting here as suggested by [CSA Removed] in text chat support. I was told there are no plans to support SMS short codes, and that there was no way for me to register interest in that feature, other than by posting here. Seems a bit disappointing on both counts. Is there any news about short codes?

thanks,

Dave

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): CSA name removed as per Forum rules.

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Hi Dave!

Thanks for getting in touch with us!

With regards to shortcode numbers, this isn't a service that we currently support, nor do we have any plans at present to implement this in the future.

We have taken on board all the feedback that has been put forward to us, and this has been passed on to the relevant department as a suggestion. 

If we do decide to introduce this feature in the future, we'll be sure to let all of our customers know. 

If you have any feedback, feel free to post this here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/Mobile-My-Account-feedback/td-p/1398380.

- Rebeka 

Brightonian
Dabbler

Virgin Mobile don't have a blanket ban on short code SMS, but it will be treated as a special number and therefore, the cost is additional / will not be covered by any package.

When an organisation states calls/SMS will be charged at a standard rate, this is the rate of the short code service provider (e.g. usually 10-12 pence) NOT the standard rate of your mobile network operator (e.g. 5 pence).

The Phone-paid Services Authority has a #NumberChecker https://psauthority.org.uk, although it provides the charging band rather than the actual cost.
Andy_Higgs

How can I add my concern that PN does not allow short code texting? So many services now require this and NO mention of this short coming was made when I signed up.

You need to 'poll' your customers to find out if it is a service they would like to pay for rather than just say that it is not being considered at this time.

dink670

Re: texting using short code numbers ?

Over a year on from the majority of these comments and STILL not able to use short codes.  Come on Plusnet, get this sorted out!

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: texting using short code numbers ?

It should happen by July 2019 when the recent OFCOM PAC rules are scheduled to become the norm.  Short code numbers will become the mandatory common factor across all suppliers.

Optimistically support for short codes will be the first step. Smiley

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.