Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

text PORT for number transfer

HangTen
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

text PORT for number transfer

My Plusnet SIM is active, I have obtained a PAC from my former provider and, as outlined in my 'Welcome' email, I sent a text with the word PORT to the number provided in the email and received a 'delivered' notification.
I kind of assumed the process would be automated and that I'd get a reply more or less immediately, however I sent the text over two hours ago and no response so far ... is something wrong with the system ... or am I just too impatient?

18 REPLIES 18
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: text PORT for number transfer

I'm pretty sure transfers don't take place on non-working days.

Start panicking late on Monday Smiley

HangTen
Rising Star

I understand that the actual transfer can take up to two working days - my concern however, is regarding the process of initiating the transfer process via SMS

ad47uk
Grafter

I am thinking of changing from vodafone to plusnet mobile, for two reason, the one being coverage, Vodafone is not great at the moment and I have heard EE is better than what they used to be, the other being price, I can get more from plusnet for £7.50 a month than I can from Vodafone for £15 a month. My phone is not 4G compatible, so not bothered about 4G as such.

I was a bit worried about how to transfer my number as there is nothing on plusnet website about how to do that, I did know about asking for a pac, I think that lasts for a month, so I may ask for that first.

The problem I have is that next year I am thinking about changing my ISP from Plusnet, to vodafone Smiley as they are cheaper than Plusnet.

Strange world.

HangTen
Rising Star

@ ad47uk

IMO, it's better to wait until you have your new SIM before requesting a PAC - all it took was a 5 minute phone call to my previous provider to get my PAC.

A tip though - most providers hate losing a customer and will spend ages trying to persuade you to stay with them, offering all sorts of inducements, whereas if you start by saying you're leaving because you don't get a signal at home on their network, they won't dispute it and will most likely give you your PAC straight away.

Now, returning to my original post, the instructions in the 'Welcome' email that I received when my Plusnet SIM was activated, were:
1. Text PORT to 07507307996 free from your new Plusnet SIM

2. Reply to our message with the number you want to keep along with your PAC code

3. Give us about 1 - 2 working days for the transfer to happen

.... well, I sent the text as at #1 yesterday morning, but as yet, have still not had the message that I need to reply to with my number and PAC, as instructed at #2 .........

JS1
Dabbler

Did you get your text in the end? I am waiting for mine.

HangTen
Rising Star

I got fed up waiting for the text reply; so I phoned 500 yesterday morning - answered within 1 minute and a very helpful lady took my PAC & number and set the transfer process in motion - should happen today or tomorrow.

Still haven't had a response to the PORT text though; I think there may be a fault in that route.

o_oli

Same story for me, waited 30 mins for a reply, would have expected it to be almost instant. Phoned up instead (dialed '500' from new sim), sorted within 2 mins, so I'd recommend that to anyone else waiting on the text.

ad47uk
Grafter

cheers for the reply, i have still not sorted things out yet, just been so busy over the last few weeks. 

Have plusnet sorted out their porting numbers problems now?

I know all about companies trying to keep custom, I had Sky Tv many years ago and i cancelled it because of the repeats, only to be offered a sky+ box, in which my replay was, why do i need a box to record the repeats? 

Still not sure what to do to be honest, still thinking if I want to stay with plusnet for broadband or not, i suppose one good thing the mobile phone service is separate, so i would not lose anything by changing broadband providers.

ChrisAtBristol
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

I assume that you never had the return text from PN.Cool_smiley

I’m porting a number over myself but leaving it until tomorrow after the Bank Holiday and just wonder if the automatic texting version of porting a number is working now.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

RobertHenry
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 2

Hi ChrisAtBristol

Our Text to Port option is indeed up and running. Once you send the initial text, you'll receive a response requesting further details, to which you need to reply. Alternatively, if you just give us a call on 500 from your Plusnet mobile, 08000791133 from any other line, or contact us on live chat via our website, we'll be happy to take your PAC and number to get the porting process started Smiley

Robert Henry
 Plusnet Help Team
ad47uk
Grafter

@ChrisAtBristol. i have not tried yet, I have not even got a package yet, just making sure that if I do got for plusnet mobile I can port over. The idea of being able to phone them sounds better to be honest

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

You can't phone them on the 500 number until you've got a PN sim obviously but if you contact them to request a sim I'm fairly certain you can begin the port process at the same time. Although I do stand ready to be corrected.

custos
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I had no problem at all with Porting using the text method - just avoid weekends and bank holidays obviously! It's best if you can put the new Plusnet SIM in an old phone when it arrives thus leaving your existing number running until the porting is complete as it's easier to see what is going on.

ad47uk
Grafter

i have decided to go for it anyway, I will give it a try before i port number over and cancel Vodafone, just in case i can not get any signal, I have to find the adaptor to stick my old sim in my old phone for a few days.