cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sms fail to send

nonac
Hooked

sms fail to send

New to Plusnet, so far nonplussed. Suddenly SMS won't send. At first I thought it was just the other half being technically dysfunctional, but I couldn't make it work either. So I tried sending a text from my phone also, same result - sending failed. But no mention on any status pages, twitter feed etc. Is it possible to have just a local sms outage? Phone calls work OK. Previously we were both with EE, never a problem. Two days with PlusNet, problems start.

PS. OK, this is weird. Just tried again from my phone, sms now does send (beginning to doubt my sanity, except that I still have the record of the previous failed send, so I'm not going mad), but the other phone still refuses totally to send sms, but does receive them when I send from my phone.

13 REPLIES 13
RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Re: sms fail to send

Hi nonac,

Thanks for getting in touch with us. 

We're not aware of any general issues with the network however, you can always check this specifically with your postcode area, by popping over to https://myaccount.ee.co.uk/networkchecker/checkservice and inputting this.

Just to advise, signal can fluctuate and be affected by many factors such as, the density of building materials, tree cover, weather conditions and how many people are using the network. 

Also, I would advise to double check that the SMS service centre number is set up correctly. It's the number stored on your SIM card that manages your text message delivery; the number's +44 7870002308.

- Rebeka Smiley

nonac
Hooked

Thanks. At 0730 this morning 500 told me that the PAC transfer has "not completed at our end". Sounds like rubbish to me, I had the email yesterday confirming the opposite, and moreover I can phone the number in question successfully and send texts to the number, and the number can phone me, so the PAC transfer has happened. The only thing not working is sending texts.

Anyway, despite telling me they would expedite, nothing.

It's not a local network issue, my own PN sim works fine.

Thanks for your suggestion about the SIM service number thing, I'll give it a go.

PS just called 500 again, confirms that the agent this morning did send in a request to the engineers to sort it out. But the best the guy could tell me is we sit on our hands and wait a leisurely 5 (working) days for the engineers to get their thumb out. I did ask whether PlusNet was run for the benefit of customers or engineers....

I guess that is what the 14 day cooling off period is for.

JeniH_
Hooked

Exactly the same problem as Newbie. Loads of excuses, confusing advice. Was told it was a porting issue that can only be resolved by getting another new SIM card - hopefully I’ll get that tomorrow! Advice to take out battery, take out and replace SIM then reinsert battery was repeated 5 times.! Plusnet PLEASE be aware this isn’t a fix! Putting the SIM in another phone - doesn’t work either. If its a porting issue, how come my old (transferred) number is now working (through Plusnet) I can make and receive phone calls, receive texts but it blatantly refuses to SEND texts. 

If Plusnet don’t fix this issue (3rd day now) I’ll go back to THREE (bad as they were)!

JeniH_
Hooked

And another thing: Plusnet’s advertisement on Smooth Radio tells everyone how great they are! It’s put me off listening to SMOOTH RADIO!

nonac
Hooked

and another thing - no mobile data. Tried the sim in another phone to rule out device issues, still no data. SIM SMS service centre number is in the SIM and is correct. Customer Support has no record of the ported mobile number on their screens when I phone them (they only have the SIM-original number), I have to give my account number to connect the dots, although they recognise that the ported number does show on their CLID when I call them, so clearly my number has ported to the SIM.

nonac
Hooked

just logged into my account for the first time. Bear in mind the ONLY thing this SIM will consume is voice minutes. No data, no sending texts. I don't even get a data connection icon showing. What does my account history show?

12 SMS sent

300kB data used

ZERO minutes used

i.e. the diametric opposite of the truth. The one and only thing this SIM has actually used is minutes! It does not inspire confidence in the accuracy of their billing data.

MichaelWilliams
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 15

Something clearly isn't right here, it sounds like there's a chance this could be a 'split port' but I'd like to properly investigate and get things sorted for you.

Could you please send me a Private Message and we can get started?

JeniH_
Hooked

Did you get this sorted? They’re still investigating my (similar) problem. According to Plusnet it’s been reported to ‘the engineers’ but they have no way of contacting ‘the engineers’ to check progress. Baffled, Oh and apparently I can’t take my business elsewhere because “until the porting problem is sorted out they can’t give me a PAC code. So, stuck between a rock and a hard place. 

@nonac wrote:

just logged into my account for the first time. Bear in mind the ONLY thing this SIM will consume is voice minutes. No data, no sending texts. I don't even get a data connection icon showing. What does my account history show?

12 SMS sent

300kB data used

ZERO minutes used

i.e. the diametric opposite of the truth. The one and only thing this SIM has actually used is minutes! It does not inspire confidence in the accuracy of their billing data.

JeniH_
Hooked

UPDATE:  10:30 pm Friday 23/3. Just received an email from Plusnet telling me porting now complete. Just tried to send a text and Eureka! It’s now working!  Hope others with this problem have a similar outcome.

nonac
Hooked

Oddly enough, at the very moment you pressed "Post" I got an email - I thought it was a community notification. Happily, it was in fact an email for PlusNet saying "Brilliant news, your mobile number port will be completed very soon". And now the SIM is able to send texts, and the ! mark has vanished from the signal icon and I have mobile data. So I guess that is a Yes to your question.

I have phoned Customer Services about 3-4 times and pressed very hard, but politely. Not sure if that made a difference. The most recent call today the agent said she thought they would be doing their utmost since the same incident involved many number ports (i.e. single cause of failure, many victims). They were always very nice at CS, and I got the feeling they were doing everything in their very limited power, but nevertheless it is always hugely frustrating to be told effectively there is nothing they can do other than file a report a wait for the engineers' "up to 5 working days" (aka a week). Fortunately in my case it was resolved in 3 days. And they did credit me a month.

JeniH_
Hooked

I hope I’ll get some form of compensation as well! No mention yet of a credit.

JeniH_
Hooked

Michael

Fortunately it started to work on Friday night - about 10:30. One of the other community members with the same problem, was apparently given a month’s credit because of the hassle - you also mentioned it in an earlier response to me. How do I get a credit applied to my account?

Jeni

SarahStewart
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 6

Hi @JeniH_

it's great news that you're fully up and running now! 

If you drop myself or any of the other mobile staff a message we'll be able to look into this for you.