cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

short number texts

steve27
Dabbler

short number texts

received a text today from the NHS asking me to rate the treatment I received from the physio last week,tried to reply but seems plusnet network doesn't allow texts to short numbers(5 digits in this case)!I have never had an issue replying to short numbers in the past from banks,NHS etc,anybody any idea as to why Plusnet do this?

31 REPLIES 31
flanzm
Pro
Fixes: 15

Re: short number texts

Apparently it's to stop customers accidentally running up extra charges as I don't think all these short codes are charged at standard text rates.  I do agree it would be useful to be able to do this though - for exactly the reason you highlight.

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

That's correct, don't forget that competition entries for instance use shortcodes too and would generally cost £1.50 per text, the scam ones will cost much more. So whether you consider it a bad thing or a good thing depends on your needs.

Hopefully PN will add the feature in the near future but make it optional.

brightonbelle
Grafter
Fixes: 1

I'd say this is a benefit Plusnet should be shouting out loud about, not a problem that needs fixing Wink

RobGriffiths
Hooked

There are other ways to give feedback ... short number texts are the work of the devil!

steve27
Dabbler

If you are completely dim then perhaps they are "the work of the devil" but if you are of normal intelligence they are a convenient way to do lots of things,why should I have to look for another method to give feeback to the NHS or reply to my bank when they contact me using one of these,with my previous supplier they were just counted as normal texts but even if they aren't and are classed as  premium rate why should they be blocked on mass,same with 0800  and other numbersthat the govt made mobiles make free,unless you ask for non-geographical  numbersto be activated,they are also not available!

RobGriffiths
Hooked

>If you are completely dim

No need to be offensive

steve27
Dabbler

Wasn't meant to be offensive,but look at what you wrote"work of the devil" how do you come to that conclusion,are you assuming most folk aren't bright enough to be able to decide whether they are appropriate for them to control their own use of them?perhaps there should be some test that suppliers have to set to would be users to asses if they are suitable to be given the privilege of being to have the use of a mobile at all?
RobGriffiths
Hooked

> Wasn't meant to be offensive ...

... and then you are offensive again.

Write what you want, but as far as I am concerned, the conversation is over.

steve27
Dabbler

Seems you're very easily offended,bet you find this offensive as well
Colin_Maybe
Pro

To any lurking mods, is there any plans that you know of to add this functionality into Plusnet? Although the antagonistic nature of some of the previous posts was unnecessary the reference to the banks was very valid in my case at least. Since my card was ripped off for a 2nd time a year ago I do get the occasional text from the bank asking 'was this you?'. I think there was an option to call instead but you'll presumably have to go through the DPA rigmarole then so would prefer to skip that bit.

Colin_Maybe
Pro

Any mods know the answer to the above?

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Moderators are customers just like yourself so won't know

Colin_Maybe
Pro

Not all of them are (they couldn't touch your account if they were), and even so you'd imagine they may have more info than ourselves.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

They can't and don't touch your Plusnet account

Even if they did know something - and I am not saying they do - why do you think they would be allowed to publish it