cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"This SIM is disabled"

jds1
Hooked

"This SIM is disabled"

My phone (a Motorola G7) has been intermittently losing mobile network signal over the past week or so.

Whenever I lose signal if I go to Settings>Network & Internet>Mobile network it will say SIM1 This SIM is disabled. This can usually be remedied if I reset the phone does not always work first time, and then sometime later the signal will go dead again.

Additionally, although I can lose signal randomly, I can also lose signal when trying to call someone. It will ring a few times and then it will say something like 'not allowed for voice'. (Annoyingly, I've just tried to replicate this, but it's working fine at the moment.)

I've tried removing the SIM card and gently cleaning the contact area with a microfibre cloth, but that hasn't made any difference.

I have a rolling 30 day contract, fully paid up, and the next bill isn't due for another week.

9 REPLIES 9
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: "This SIM is disabled"

Thanks for your post @jds1 and welcome to our Community Forums.

I'm really sorry to see you're having signal issues.

Do you have access to another phone you can try putting your SIM in? Just to rule out a handset issue. 

Also if you put your postcode into EE's coverage checker Here and click the Check Status button, are there any known issues they're aware of? 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jds1
Hooked

The EE Coverage Checker gives an odd result - my postcode isn't having coverage issues, but when I put in my phone it says that "You won't get 4G coverage on your Motorola Moto G7 Power." (and the same for 3G, and 2G).

I don't have another phone to check the SIM card.

My signal has been down more than it has been up today.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @jds1 

Did you click the check coverage button or check status? I'd recommend using the latter to check for a service outage.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jds1
Hooked

Check status says no known issues for my postcode.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hmm. Do you have access to another phone you can try your SIM in, just to rule out a handset issue? 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jds1
Hooked

No, this is the only phone I have access to.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I think it may be worth seeing if you can borrow a mobile temporarily from a friend or family member to try your SIM in. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jds1
Hooked

I've not been able to do this. Is it possible to send a replacement SIM before I have to buy a new phone?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @jds1 and apologies for the delayed response.

Did you get this sorted in the end? If you haven't, feel free to private message me the following info to pass our data protection checks and we'll be happy to take a closer look.

+Your mobile number

+Your full name

+Your full address

+Are you the account holder?

+Your date of birth

+Last 2 digits of your bank account number

+Last 2 digits of your bank sort code

When private messaging me, please include a link to this thread as our staff private messages go through a centralised system internally so I might not actually personally message you back. Although just a few of us monitor our Community Forums so there’s a good chance I’ll pick it up.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet