Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"PlusNet - Emergency Calls Only" message being displayed

FIXED
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

"PlusNet - Emergency Calls Only" message being displayed

Any ideas why my Medion E5004 is displaying this message in the notifications bar (when there are no other notifications present)

PLUSNET - EMERGENCY CALLS ONLY

... despite having an excellent 2G service (albeit little else)

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: "PlusNet - Emergency Calls Only" message being displayed

Hi @drj.

If you've only just received the SIM card, it could be the case that the we're still awaiting for the SIM activation to take place. Is the handset also unlocked to any network?

However, if our SIM has worked fine previously within the handset, you can check if there's any network issues within your area via http://ee.co.uk/ee-and-me/network/4gee/network-status-checker. -Ashleigh

drj
Aspiring Pro

Apologies - I should have been more explicit in what I stated.

The phone is working perfectly (albeit in 2G only) and I can make calls and receive calls with it - but that message is often present. I've just tried it again ringing my other mobile - working in both directions but with that message scrolling across the top of the screen.

It's SIM-free.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah, that seems strange! 

Have you tried removing the SIM/ rebooting the handset, or turn the airplane mode on and off again? Hopefully this would remove the 'Emergency Calls Only' message on the display screen. -Ashleigh

drj
Aspiring Pro

I've tried rebooting but not taking the SIM card out or swapping it into the other SIM card slot - it's really difficult to get the back off to do that but I'll have  a go.

I'll try the Airplane Mode option first.

I'm wondering whether having the Three card as secondary SIM, which doesn't then work because the secondary only works in 2G, may be getting the phone confused.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fix

@drj

I think you may be misunderstanding what your phone is telling you.

my guess is the 'Plusnet' part of the message is telling you that the Plusnet sim (in slot 1) is connected to the network, and the 'emergency calls only' part relates to the Three sim in slot 2 which is providing emergency calls only because it won't connect to a 2G service, which is all you phone will allow in that slot (or if your dual sim phone is like mine, because you can only have one sim connecting to 3/4G, the other automatically defaulting to 2G which Three don't offer)

Hope that makes sense!

drj
Aspiring Pro

I believe you're right - I've swapped the SIMs over and it's now saying:

EMERGENCY CALLS ONLY - PLUSNET

... which after reading your posting I realise accords with your postulation. How to confuse without really trying!