cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Cheap" Bolt-ons - Much cheaper to get a new contract!

piersg
Grafter

"Cheap" Bolt-ons - Much cheaper to get a new contract!

I've had a busy couple of weeks and am about to use up my data allowance on my monthly plan. I've looked at the "Bolt Ons" listed here: https://www.plus.net/mobile/bolt-ons/ and for £10 I can get another 2GB of data, which will last until my next "refresh" date, in 9 days.

For £10, I could also get a new SIM, with 4GB data (and unlimited calls and texts), give termination notice immediately, and have the data allowance valid for 30 days, not 9 days. https://www.plus.net/mobile/plans/sim-only/existing-customer-offer/

Could I suggest that the prices of the "Cheap Bolt-Ons" are reviewed soon, on the basis that I can get double the data and thrice the time available to use it, by setting up a new contract for a month? Guess which option I will be taking when I call the mobile sales team later this morning?

Amount Data in new plan Data in Bolt-on
£6 1.5GB (30 days) 1GB (until refresh date)
£10 4GB 2GB
£15 8GB 4GB

For those thinking "what about your phone number, people can't contact you", I use the PlusNet sim in my tablet. I make and receive no calls or texts, so am not bothered about the phone number, or how many calls I make or texts I send, even though I currently have "unlimited" quantities of both.

4 REPLIES 4
LivRobinson
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: "Cheap" Bolt-ons - Much cheaper to get a new contract!

Hi piersg!

I am sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the pricing structure of the Bolt-Ons. These are only really for those rare instances that someone uses up their whole allowance, but I will be sure to pass on your feedback to the relevant team for review in the future.

With regards to you changing onto a higher data tariff, you can do this without having to order a new SIM Smiley You can do a tariff migration onto a more suitable deal, meaning (although it is not an important factor to you) that you can keep your number and all the same account details Smiley You can do this by calling our amazing Customer Service team on 500 free from your plusnet SIM, or 0800 0791133 - Option 1 from any other phone Smiley Alternatively, pop over to plus.net and use our Live Chat facility, or just send me a PM and I can get the ball rolling on this.

Thanks,
Liv Smiley

Liv Robinson
 Plusnet Help Team
JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

@piersg wrote:

Could I suggest that the prices of the "Cheap Bolt-Ons" are reviewed soon, on the basis that I can get double the data and thrice the time available to use it, by setting up a new contract for a month?

I've flagged this with the people responsible for the pricing of these Bolt-Ons

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
piersg
Grafter

Hi Liv

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately a Tariff Migration is not an option for me at the moment, because last time I spoke to your amazing Customer Service Team, they told me that I could only migrate my tariff on my refresh date, not immediately. On that occasion, I did change tariff to get more data, but due to a busy bank holiday away from home, I'm nine days away from my refresh date with no data left in my plan. Therefore a "bolt-on" seems to be my only option at this point (or order a new sim).

If things have changed in the last couple of months, please let me know!

LivRobinson
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

piersg you are correct, the tariff wouldn't change until your refresh date, so this month you would need to purchase a bolt-on to continue using data. 

A tariff change would be a long term solution as opposed to a short term fix. I want to make sure that you are put onto a plan with sufficient data allowance so that you won't need to purchase a bolt-on in future. If you'd like to do this, please do get in touch in any of the ways previously mentioned and we will be more than happy to discuss the different tariffs available Smiley

Thanks
Liv

Liv Robinson
 Plusnet Help Team