cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

phone says I'm roaming, but I'm on an EE network here in the UK

NigelX

phone says I'm roaming, but I'm on an EE network here in the UK

My android phone shows a 'roaming' icon next to the signal strength indicator, and I have to enable data roaming in order to connect to the internet. This is despite the fact that I've got a PlusNet sim fitted, and I am here in the UK. And yes, I've checked that the APN is set up to EE Internet everywhere, as specified in the support section of the PN website. Now, one could say 'whats the problem', as I can access the internet when out and about (by enabling Data Roaming and ignoring the warning that this could be expensive)... but it means I have to remember to disable Data Roaming when going to places where I can't 'roam like at home', otherwise it has proven to be very expensive!

3 REPLIES 3
RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Re: phone says I'm roaming, but I'm on an EE network here in the UK

Hi NigelX,

Thanks for getting in touch with us!

It does sound as if the SIM is attempting to connect to a foreign mast, as it may be the strongest network within the area; this can happen depending on where you are in the UK.

I would advise to manually search for a network and connect to a local UK network this way. 

- Rebeka 

NigelX

Your suggestion is not applicable, as I'm not connected to a 'foreign mast' - I'm connected to a EE UK mast (as the title of the post says), in the middle of Cambridgeshire. And I'm not being treated as roaming; I'm not being charged for calls or data. Basically, if 'data when roaming' is disabled in my phone (a Moto E3) then I cannot use the EE network for data, but I can use it for phone and SMS; if I enable data roaming, I get data, phone and SMS, all for free provided I keep within my monthly allowance. When I first joined Plusnet, I had the SIM in a Moto E2, which did not suffer from this oddity; unfortunately I cannot try the SIM in my older phone to see how it now behaves, as (a)  the old phone's broken, and (b) I had to convert the SIM to a smaller size to fit the new phone, and so it no longer fits the old phone.

Is it possible that a replacement SIM will fix the issue?

MichaelWilliams
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 15

This may well be a rogue SIM, NigelX, I think that's a good step to take. If you could PM your full name and address over I could get one posted out to you on Monday morning Smiley