cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mobile & broadband accounts - joint or separate?

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

mobile & broadband accounts - joint or separate?

are the mobile and broadband accounts totally separate ? or if i move a SIM over to plusnet mobile will it be part of my existing broadband account or will be a totally separate account?

13 REPLIES 13
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Re: mobile & broadband accounts - joint or separate?

It's a seperate account from your broadband/tv/landline services.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

chenks76
All Star

separate as in it can be a different name and bank account (for the DD)?
but can still benefit from the discount for being a plusnet customer?
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

My understanding of it is that they are seperate systems but you can link your plusnet broadband account to the mobile account to get the extra benefits. That's as far as I know anyway. Maybe @RebekaPreston or @Anonymous will be able to clarify this properly as they work with the mobile account system?

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @chenks76,

When opening a mobile account it can be in a different name, and have a different Direct Debit from your broadband account, however if you’re wanting to benefit from ‘Mates Rates’ (double data) the account would need to be opened in the same name, and we’d also need the username to cross match the accounts, but the Direct Debit would still be able to be different to the broadband account, as long as it’s the same name as the account holder.

Once the first payment, and direct debit have been taken the Direct Debit details can be changed to someone else's name as long as they are available to authorise this.

If you have any further questions feel free to send me a Private Message.

chenks76
All Star

well obviously the other bank account wouldn't be in my name, hence the question.
i would be (or looking to if this doesn't become stupidly complicated - which at the moment i'm not holding my breath) to migrate my mums vodafone SIM to plusnet, and as i'm a customer get the discounted rate.

i wouldn't be paying for it though, she would.

chenks76
All Star

and i'd rather keep the discussion on here than PM, as then everyone can see what is required.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m happy to answer your questions here, don’t worry.

So if you were wanting to port your mothers number over, but have access to ‘Mates Rates’ the account would need to be in your name so we could link it to your broadband account.

The first payment and Direct Debit would also need to be taken from a card in your name, and once those payments had been taken you’d then be able to change the Direct Details into your mothers as long as she was available to talk on the phone to authorise this.

chenks76
All Star

thinking out loud here, but how would you be able to clarify that you would be talking to her on the phone? and you weren't just talking to any female that i had next to me at the time?

how would you be able to pass data protection (as i assume that's the reason you would want to speak to her) by speaking to her on the phone?

Anonymous
Not applicable

When setting up a Direct Debit on an account, in a different name, we would need to speak to the new bank account holder, if you contact to do this we will request to speak to the person who holds the account.

It would be the mobile account holders responsibility to make sure we are passed onto the correct person. We’d then ask this person to confirm their full name, and the needed details for the new Direct Debit, including Sort Code and Account Number, which would be on their card.

chenks76
All Star

so there is no real validation done at all really.
as i would have the bank details anyway, in reality you should be speaking to any female.
seems like a process that hasn't been thought out very well.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note.

I've removed several replies, please can all sides keep it civil.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MarcJohnson
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi 
What we need here is that the verified account holder is there to confirm the change of details. In most cases, because the account holder should not usually have the other person's details in full themselves, we would expect that to be most naturally and fluidly confirmed by a telephone call hand-over, which is why that's our procedure at present. Smiley

Hope that helps!

chenks76
All Star

in the end i decided to go with ID instead.
they offered more for the same amount per month (£5pm), and on a monthly rolling contract.