cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone6/SIM won't work

sherbrooke-pn
Dabbler

iPhone6/SIM won't work

Inserted my PN SIM into my iPhone 6S and get this message... 

"SIM not Supported
The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported. The SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact Apple for more information."

Phone was bought from Gifffgaff and is supposed to be unlocked - anyone any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6
RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Re: iPhone6/SIM won't work

Hi sherbrooke-pn,

It sounds as if your handset is locked to a certain network. iPhone's can be bought unlocked but tend to lock themselves to the network of the first SIM card that is put into the phone. I'm afraid you would need to speak to Apple regarding this or contact a phone unlocking service.

If there's anything else I can help you with, don't hesitate to give me a shout!

- Rebeka Smiley

HangTen
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Sounds like a rather pointless and counter-productive "feature" for Apple to inflict upon their iPhone customers ....

sherbrooke-pn
Dabbler

Correction, just found out the phone was bought "SIM FREE" from Carphonewarehouse and if you look at their smallprint...

"The iPhone will lock itself to the network of the first SIM card that is used in the phone. Subsequently attempting to use it on any other network, for example by replacing the SIM card, may mean it becomes permanently unusable. SIM free iPhones can only be used with a UK-network SIM card, and will not accept foreign SIM cards."

Grrrr, anyway thanks for the replies, looks like I need to contact Giffgaff or O2 to get the phone unlocked Angry

Altron

Hi 

I've got the same thing - sorry it's been some time since you posted but did you find a solution please? As far as I can tell, my phone isnt locked to any network... I'll keep looking but if you have some words of wisdom, that would be great.!

sherbrooke-pn
Dabbler

I used an unlocking service (http://www.gsmunlocking.eu/). Registered/placed order 23-Dec got an email 31-Dec to say it had been done. Phone then worked okay on Plusnet. 

Probably paid over the odds to get it unlocked (39 euros) but couldn't be bothered with what I saw as more hassle trying to go through the O2 route

Altron

Hi Dabble

Thanks for the reply - glad to hear that all is not lost! Will try that tomorrow...

Al