cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMessage not working

pete5
Dabbler

Re: iMessage not working

11.2.5? interesting as i  updated last week too but did appear to still work after on previous provider. just didnt after number port 

RooDBwoY
Hooked

Folks,

Quick update. I’ve been on the phone with Apple half of the day because it’s affecting brand new lines and handsets on our EE corporate contract. An existing user I tested with seems to be ok disabling and re activating the iMessage and FaceTime services but I cannot for the life of me get my own PlusNet or corporate EE devices working, with or without Apple ID logged in.

They have opened 3 individual support tickets for me because apparently they’re based on device. I have both of mine affected along with a brand new one, that’s been nowhere near an Apple ID ever.

I’ll keep this thread updated as I get info.
GordonGillespie
Dabbler

Just had a thought - do you all have a smart cap your mobile account? And have you all reached it? I’ve reached mines.
What if Apple have changed the iMessage activation sms number and Plusnet are blocking this text as it’s going to cost and we’ve reached our smart cap?
ackymitch
Hooked

I'm no where near being capped so this will not be the cause of my issue with activating iMessage/Facetime.

Thanks for your comments.

ackymitch
Hooked

Thanks for your input and await any further information with interest.

Andy_mccoy
Hooked

Yeah I'm nowhere near my smart cap either I did ask plusnet this yesterday. 

Apple did say they'll get back to me on Wednesday however I suspect this isn't an apple issue. 

I off to look for a new SIM card that isn't linked to EE

GordonGillespie
Dabbler

Ah, that’s annoying, I thought I was on to something there.
pete5
Dabbler

nowhere near either

RooDBwoY
Hooked

Good new folks...

I've heard back from my man at Apple and they have acknowledged there is an issue with lots of users trying to activate mobile phone numbers with either EE themselves or other networks that piggy-back off their network.

It specifically affects mobile number activation but email addresses work fine with iMessage/FaceTime.

Apple are working with EE to solve the problem over the course of the next couple of days and I'll feedback when the problem is resolved.

pete5
Dabbler

great thanks for the update

GordonGillespie
Dabbler

Legend, thank you very much for finding that out. Very glad to hear Apple are away of the problem and it’s not isolated to a few of us.
ackymitch
Hooked

Thanks for the much appreciated update.  Hopefully we will have a solution soon.  Cheers.

wmrstafford

RooDBwoY, I think you've put a lot of peoples minds at rest here and do hope you keep us all updated. I'm an iphone technician and this problem has even had me thinking I'm going mad lately.

Like some others, I've taken all of the usual steps to get it working, and even had plusnet replace my sim card which made no difference. This is obviously an EE / Apple issue and I do hope they get it sorted out soon. My wife is also plusnet and hers continues to work okay, I think it's affecting people who only need to reactivate for some reason. My reason was switching to a new iphone. I knew instantly that my new phone wasn't at fault though as I could reactivate it back on my old phone either.

I'll give it a week, but if not then sorted I may just head back to giffgaff - which is a shame really as I know it isn't plusnet at fault. However I do need it to work and just hope I'm not missing out on important messages in the meantime.

We look forward to any updates you can give us. 

RooDBwoY
Hooked

Yes, it’s really frustrating when these issues pop up. As Head of IT for a law firm I have to deal with a fair amount of [-Censored-]. Troubleshooting with other third party suppliers/providers can be a real headache when they insist you go through all the pointless steps, like wiping your device for instance when you know you’ve done all the necessary steps already!

Fortunately, the dude at Apple was sensible and we covered a couple of things before he escalated to the engineering team. 

Update to follow!

ackymitch
Hooked

Hi, before posting I tried all the usual steps including sign-in-out of all devices, restoring from backup and eventually setting up as a new phone without any luck.  I then thought that the SIM must be the problem and, to check, tried a setup as a new phone on a spare iPhone 5S. Still no luck, convincing me that it must be the SIM.  I then requested a replacement/swap SIM on Sat 17/2 from Plusnet.  It arrived today and I haven't tried this SIM swap as I don't expect that this is the problem.  It has to be an EE/Apple issue which I hope will be resolved soon otherwise I will look to move to 3/Vodaphone.  Much appreciate RooDBwoY's perseverance in his efforts to resolve our issue.