cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMessage not working

Andy_mccoy
Hooked

iMessage not working

I've noticed that my FaceTime and iMessage aren't working properly. It reads on both FaceTime and IMessaging that it is waiting for activation and the number is greyed out with a little circle next to it going around as it waits for it to be activated, this is clearly never going to happen. It says it could take 24 hours. It's been a lot longer than that.

I've just moved to a new iPhones as the previous one was damaged and replaced by insurance.

both plusnet and apple are saying it's not something they can help with and are advising it's something the other should be able to fix. So far I've tried the following with no luck: 

reset phone,

turned on and off iMessage,

made sure time was auto set, 

reset network settings. 

Does anyone have any ideas? Unfortunately plusnet and apple aren't helping. 

58 REPLIES 58
LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: iMessage not working

sign out of iCloud on all devices,

Turn iMessage off on your phone, Settings/Messages/iMessage

Reboot iPhone

Sign in again to iCloud  and turn iMessages on  in system settings, let it activate.

Andy_mccoy
Hooked

Thanks for the reply. I've tried this and I'm still getting the waiting for activation message. 

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

Make sure  the date and time set correctly and a signal. ?

Then try

Settings/General scroll to bottom and select reset.

see

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201422

Andy_mccoy
Hooked

Cheers. I've tried that as well. Just done it again and no difference. 

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

If you can send/receive normal sms messages, then there is possibly something wrong with the phone. with regard to your activation, with correct iCloud details etc

pete5
Dabbler

I have the same issue seems a common problem with EE or any network using it

few have said it does activate after a few days mine hasnt yet

have given up on all the solutions none have worked

GordonGillespie
Dabbler

Hi, 

I'm also having this problem with my new iPhone X. Previously used Plusnet sim in an iPhone 6 with no issues. Put the sim into the new phone on Friday night and been unable to activate iMessage or Facetime with my number - it works fine with my email however. Instantly says "unable to activate" or "waiting for activation". And in send/recieve options, my phone number is greyed out. 

I have tried every single fix I could find online including: 

1) Ensuring Date and Time are set to automatic (including toggling on and off) 

2) Toggling iMessage and Facetime on and off with all sorts of combinations in restarting the phone/putting on airplane mode. 

3) Inserting sim, switching off phone etc 

4) Restoring the phone on iTunes 

5) Logging out of all iCloud on all devices and logging into the phone first

Nothing is working. I've already spoken to Plusnet who said "we do not have anything to do with your iMessage facility, as this is a handset feature not a SIM one". However, from reading online, an invisible SMS is sent from Apple to the phone number to link the phone to iMessage and this can cause issues. I'm pulling my hair out with this, so if there is any further advice then I'm all ears. The sim appears to be fully working as I can call and text with no issues.

I'm speculating that there might be further issues with Plusnet being a virtual network using EE? I've seen threads online and this is a very common problem with EE's network. 

Thanks, 

Gordon

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

Been with EE since they started, Orange before that when they were Hutchinson Telecom

Never had a problem since the invention of apples iMessage activation, unless iCloud was down. Also have the X

pete5
Dabbler

Hello Gordon

yes your right alot on EE have issues it doesnt always pick up on the silent text back from EE i had previously come from 02 tried everything you have done, its not even a recent issue as looking on some of the EE Forums they date back to 2016 i dont know the rectificaton seems you can reset turn on and off all you like nothing works, some people have gotten lucky in that after a few days it does

pete5
Dabbler

can you try putting it back in the 6 and see if it reinstates? 

GordonGillespie
Dabbler

This is a nightmare mate, don't know what we can do. Not really a fan of the waiting game, I'm too impatient for that. In fairness though, I haven't seen any posts about people still having this issues for more than 3-4 days?

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

Perhaps there is some way plus net can re boost your sim.

I know that when I did have had trouble with normal Text messages, EE have cleared something their end.

Something to do with the cache or something.

GordonGillespie
Dabbler

Yeah, I did see a blog post about EE being able to do something? I'll try on the 6 again.

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

Perhaps they need to reactivate your sim for SMS on the new phone, although once again when I swapped phones, just used the same sim and it all worked.  (Using Unlocked phone Monthly ee Payment )