cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

google photos

skygrowler
Dabbler

google photos

hello , i have recently noticed that google photos has started using a large amount of data for no apparent reason  , i have done an online search and there are many reports of this happening , some people reporting far higher usage than me , one person reported a usage of 17gb in one day !.

has anyone else run into this problem and did they find a solution as google apparently are not very interested.

12 REPLIES 12
dfunked
Grafter

Re: google photos

Can't say I've had the issue... Is it definitely set to only upload over wi-fi?

skygrowler
Dabbler

first thing i checked but i believe this is the default setting anyway ?

wood_side
Dabbler

I had the same problem a few weeks ago with BT (I'm in the process of switching to Plusnet). We were on holiday in Cornwall out of range of any wi-fi, but with a good 4g signal. I had my laptop tethered to my phone via a wi-f- hotspot and used up about 7Gb of data in the background without even realising what was happening, for which I was charged an extra £52! Presumably the laptop treated it as a normal wi-fi signal. If anybody knows how to get round this, then I would be interested too. Thanks

skygrowler
Dabbler

i am not sure this is the same thing . tethering will use your data quickly . i made this mistake on holiday , i tethered a new laptop and it downloaded a load of updates and a load of iplayer stuff .

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

I'm presuming this is you on the Google forums so you'll be aware that it seems to be a problem with the latest update to Google Photos:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/photos/NMuPgBxQKYg

If you're on Android:

First go to 'Apps' and then 'Photos'. Click on the menu option (3 horizontal lines) and click on 'Settings'. Turn off 'Backup & sync'.

Now go to the phones settings, click on 'Apps', and then 'Photos'. Click on 'Data Usage' and make sure 'Restrict app background data' is turned off.

If it still has this issue Id consider turning off 'Restrict app background data' on the WiFi tab as well in case that's where the bug is.

Colin_Maybe
Pro

@wood_side

Yours is a different problem entirely, you need to set your tethering connection on the laptop itself as metered. This will tell Windows (presuming this is Windows) to not download any non-critical updates, offline file sync via OneDrive should stop too if used.

To go metered, click on the network icon in the bottom right hand side of the taskbar and select metered connection.

skygrowler
Dabbler

yes i did say that i had checked all this but thanks anyway . is me putting it on another forum a problem ? i only asked on here because it seemed that the people on Google forum were worldwide and i wanted to ask on a UK forum .

wood_side
Dabbler

@Colin_Maybe

Thanks. I wasn't aware that you could do this.

Colin_Maybe
Pro

@skygrowler

Actually you didn't mention all of that which is why I went out of my way to suggest a solution for you.

I'm not sure why your reply seems to be aggressive.

Your welcome.

skygrowler
Dabbler

i didn't think it was necessary to lay it out chapter and verse i quite clearly stated that this was the first thing i checked  and i did not come on here for an argument just for an answer .

i am not sure why you think my reply is aggressive perhaps you are being oversensitive ?

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Colin_Maybe
Pro

"is me putting it on another forum a problem ? ", you don't think that's aggressive?

You came on for help and it was offered.

Since you're obviously just trolling I'll add you to my ignore list, good luck in getting help from anyone else with your attitude.

skygrowler
Dabbler

who has pulled your tail ? i consider being added to your ignore list a bonus . you did not answer my question you just patronised everyone on here when you posted the instructions to disable mobile data use . that is not a solution .

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.