cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zero network coverage yet the only way to cancel requires a call?

JamesT91
Dabbler

Zero network coverage yet the only way to cancel requires a call?

So I have had plusnet mobile for less than a month and to be honest it is utter [-Censored-], the worst service I have ever had with a phone, by every measure.

I was with o2 but I got no signal in my house whatsoever, I had to go stand in my garden to send or receive calls or texts.

I already have plusnet broadband so figured it was worth testing out a "rolling contract"

and it not only has zero network in my house, but none in my garden, none in my street, none on my morning commute route, none on any of my dog walking paths.

So there is no point paying for a service that isnt being provided.  I contacted the "support team" via live chat who told me the ONLY way to cancel is with a call.

Firstly, I have aspergers, I have a phone for my family and work , that is it, I have an app installed to block any numbers not already saved on my phone.

So while it is not a big deal to other people, for me, having to make a lengthy call to  a stranger to explain why I am leaving while they inevitably try to pressure me into staying is a difficult task

and secondly as I said above my reason for cancelling is that there  is no network here, so for me to even be able to make this call I am going to have to commute into town, find somewhere where there actually is network coverage, specifically to  have this stressful call.

A few years ago when I first joined plusnet the service was impeccable, most reliable internet, easy to reach help, actual help provided.  But now, internet speeds well below the minimum "guaranteed" ones which I have already had to fill in a complaint form for because I could get no help or answers in live chat,

the coverage checker aswell as the person I asked in live chat told me ( as best they could, I know its not 100% accurate) that the service in my area would be good to great, yet there is literally none.

and now even just to cancel a 30 day rolling contract, I have to make an awful call because despite how easy it is to process, they simply refuse to allow us to do so online

20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Zero network coverage yet the only way to cancel requires a call?

JamesT91 wrote and it not only has zero network in my house, but none in my garden, none in my street, none on my morning commute route, none on any of my dog walking paths.

That's very strange are you sure your phone is set to the Plusnet setting.

Put you address in the link below to check coverage of the four networks

https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/mobile-coverage

Brian A

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

PlusNet use EE, so depending on where you live if you know someone local who uses it, worth asking.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@JamesT91 

Have you checked that your phone works in an area where you know there is EE coverage?

If it does not work in these locations then check that:

1. Your phone is not locked to O2.

2. The SIM is correctly installed.

3. The phones APN settings are correct, see. https://www.plus.net/help/mobile/mobile-phone-and-voicemail-settings/

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yep @Baldrick1,

It would suggest if the OP has moved from O2 to EE and if they are using the same device then it is not locked. If. Only if it was the same device.

Funny thing is I know where some of the masts are, working in IT I went into sad mode (don't anyone agree 😀) and walking locally with my sister this morning for a Christmas Eve bite to eat. Walking on the way back:

[sister]: I think that was an air raid siren.
(5 mins further):

Me: That's a phone mast, I wonder if it is EE?
(Looks for any signage on the cabs by it - none)
Sister: Well it is not O2, I only have two bars.
Me: Sounds like it is, I have full signal.

So I know where the two places where I usually am, where the masts are. Sorry for digressing a bit, but it helps!
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @JamesT91,

I am really sorry to hear of your experience and that you're looking to leave. I'm afraid that it's true that we don't have any methods for you to cancel the mobile account online and this must be done over the phone. Regarding the signal itself, I would recommend trying some of the suggestions made in this thread and letting us know how you get on with it.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
JamesT91
Dabbler

1 & 3, yes my phone is unlocked and the sim is inserted properly. the few spots where I have been able to get signal it says "plusnet" at the top and the phone works fine then.  but the coverage is practically non existent, between the dog walk routes, my commute and where I work that is 40 odd miles I have covered on an average day since getting this plusnet sim and in only 2 spots so far have I been able to use my phone, in fact i did not even get the confirmation text from plusnet about porting my number until i had already had the service for 8 days

2: yeah, the settings are as shown in the link provided

JamesT91
Dabbler

I have siblings on virgin, that uses EE also, and they have had no such issues.

have also tried swapping sims to make sure the problem is not my phone itself, but it isnt.

my plusnet sim in my phone or their phones= no cover at all

their sims in my phone or their= great cover

JamesT91
Dabbler

@TheMightyAJ wrote:

Hi @JamesT91,

I am really sorry to hear of your experience and that you're looking to leave. I'm afraid that it's true that we don't have any methods for you to cancel the mobile account online and this must be done over the phone. Regarding the signal itself, I would recommend trying some of the suggestions made in this thread and letting us know how you get on with it.

Hello, is there any particular reason for this?  your other services which are much more involved, i.e your broadband packages can be cancelled easily through live chat, even the transition handing the service over to another provider is seamless.  But for some reason the least involved of your services, the 30 day contracts *have* to be a phone call?, which i am assuming will be the usual bussines spchiel of long wait times, then 30 odd minutes of the person reading a script to try to get you to stay and then 2 minutes of help

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@JamesT91 wrote:But for some reason the least involved of your services, the 30 day contracts *have* to be a phone call?, which i am assuming will be the usual bussines spchiel of long wait times, then 30 odd minutes of the person reading a script to try to get you to stay and then 2 minutes of help

Must admit i haven't done this with PN but I did precisely what Ofcom says you can do with another mobile provider recently and it took no time at all to do. No phone calls, no waiting. Have a read of the link.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
JamesT91
Dabbler

This looks promising, wont be doing any more travelling tonight, but maybe tomorrow I will be somewhere that has enough service for me to give these texts a try.  Thank you

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi @JamesT91 

I’m sorry for the difficulties you have phoning us and the problems with your service. 

Unfortunately our cancellation processes on mobile are different to broadband but I’m happy to pass feedback on to the relevant team. 

You can request the appropriate code (PAC or STAC) online through your account or by texting PAC to 65075 or STAC to 75075.

A PAC would allow you to keep your number whereas a STAC would change your number. When given to your new provider and the transfer completes, both would trigger a notification our side to cancel your account down. 

There’s more information here: https://www.plus.net/help/mobile/transferring-your-mobile-service/#how-can-i-ask-my-current-provider...

Having said that, it may be that your SIM is faulty so I think it’s worth us sending a replacement SIM out as the next step.

Feel free to send me a private message with the following information and we’ll message you back a couple more questions to go through our data protection process and then get a replacement sent out to further troubleshoot the issue.

• Your full name
  • Your mobile number
  • Confirmation you’re the account holder
  • Your full address

I hope this helps. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
japitts
Rising Star

@JamesT91 wrote:

I have siblings on virgin, that uses EE also, and they have had no such issues.

have also tried swapping sims to make sure the problem is not my phone itself, but it isnt.

my plusnet sim in my phone or their phones= no cover at all

their sims in my phone or their= great cover

This would suggest a SIM or account problem, surely? If you said that other people on EE had coverage, then I'd be thinking "Band 20 4G800" which (in simple terms) is additional 4G coverage that only EE-direct & BT-Mobile can access. But you've mentioned Virgin, ruling that theory out.

JamesT91
Dabbler

Update time

I borrowed a phone to make the call to "customer services"

Said I wanted to leave, and asked for a PAC code to keep my number.,

I asked the guy if it would be the same process of transfer if I was going to a new network on pay as you go and not contract, he said yes.  He also said that that was all I needed to terminate the plusnet "service".

I got a new sim, used the online PAC submission form and they said my account would be active and the number swapped over by today,

Today, no signal and unable to register my phone on the new network, after contacting their customer support they have said that plusnet have not yet released my number, so the transfer cannot take place

so I am again going to have to borrow somebody else's phone and wait to get through the queue to chase this up

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @JamesT91 I’m sorry for the issues, I’m happy to look into this for you so you shouldn’t need to call us again.

Can you PM me back the additional questions I’ve asked to pass our data protection process? Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet