cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will not connect to other networks when no Plusnet/EE signal available

FIXED
FrankDoran

Will not connect to other networks when no Plusnet/EE signal available

I often have to travel to different areas of the country and find my mobile wil not connect to Plusnet/EE. The mobile can pick up other available network signals but will not register on them so I am out of contact whilst other people around me are able to use their mobiles. Why?

6 REPLIES 6
flanzm
Pro
Fixes: 15

Re: Will not connect to other networks when no Plusnet/EE signal available

Because you are paying to connect to PlusNet/EE.  Within the UK most operators don't allow roaming between other network - if they did it would mean they would loose competitive advantage of offering better coverage etc.  When you go on holiday abroad roaming is used by default.

If needing to be contactable is a real issue, either get a dual SIM phone and get another SIM with say O2/Vodafone or look at something like Pebble Mobile who offer UK roaming.

ChrisAtBristol
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

I’m a disabled driver and being able to contact the breakdown services is very important for me even if it’s only for them to change a wheel after a flat.

Plusnet is my main phone and the sim is in a modern smartphone however I also have a dumb phone with a o2 PAYG sim in it for backup. o2 PAYG is 3p per minute with no expiry dates so ideal for this situation but other than that as noted above Pebble with local roaming is an alternative but from memory its very expensive. A cheap non expiry PAYG sim on Vodafone is hard to come by these days so generally I don’t use them anymore.

The dumb phone (though it’s not so dumb because it has 2G and 3G) will go for weeks on standby without charging but saying that, it’s very rare not to be able to get at least a 2G signal on EE but of course it can happen and I know a few spots just 15 miles south of Bristol where you’re lucky to get any signal from any network but I hold my breath when driving through these very short dead spots.

firebird1000
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

buy a duel sim phone like me i use plus net sim in sim 0ne and giffgaff in sim two so no network on one there is allways one on the other one and it is not a chines one

FrankDoran

The dual sim answer has been suggested before but I'm not sure how it works. Obviously I know about the existence of such handsets but do the 2 sims use the same number? Does the second sim automatically take over (subject to being able to receive a signal)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

firebird1000
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Fix

no they do not use the same number but there own given by the network i use giffgaff and plus net if i can not ring on the plus net then i use giffgaff to make a call and receive one vice versa they are all ways on stand by for call texts internet 4g /3g /2g/ so all ways able to use your phone my one is the huawei honor 8 duel sim and it is open to any net workSmiley 

FrankDoran

Sorry for the delay in answering. Thanks for the info. i'm going to look into this and see if it helps. Thanks again.