cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Plusnet ever offer Voice calls over WiFi?

FIXED
Eeyore

Will Plusnet ever offer Voice calls over WiFi?

I used to be a BT Mobile customer and switched to Plusnet mobile. However, whilst BT Mobile allowed your mobile to use WiFi instead of 4G in poor reception areas, this isn't available on Plusnet. The lack of this facility is a big problem for me as I have only a single bar of mobile signal at home and calls often drop out. I've had to resort to using the missus's phone.

Why can't Plusnet offer this service? After all, both BT Mobile and Plusnet are both using the EE network. Is it some sort of problem with the billing system? 

Will Plusnet ever offer this service in the future, or should I cut my losses now and find another operator/return to BT?

8 REPLIES 8
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Re: Will Plusnet ever offer Voice calls over WiFi?

Fix

VoWIFI requires more infrastructure, a form of VoIP, on the part of the mobile provider.

EE provided VoWIFI (and VoLTE) is only available for EE & BT pay monthly customers.

EE PayG customers do not have access!

The only virtual mobile providers, I know of, which have access to VoWiFi are Id Mobile (on Three), Sky mobile (on O2) and Virgin (on EE).

I believe Sky and Virgin provide their own infrastructure to achieve this.

As a low cost mobile provider I doubt PN will have access to VoWiFi any time soon.

You should probably switch networks.

Regards

Richard

reader1
Hooked

You might have answered a problem I have.   Just moved to Plusnet Mobile and a couple of apps I use refuse to work whereas on 3 they worked fine. Same phone,same location 

I know your response was to the other poster but thanks from me as you have saved some head scratching.  Will have to move the phones back to 3

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

It might be worth checking ID mobile, hosted on the Three network.

They support VoWiFi and VoLTE and 1 month contracts etc

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Vodafone use voice over wifi on a compatible phone. Doesn't help with the PN question though.

reader1
Hooked

3 does offer VOI (thats where I moved from) and thier speed is better than EE(PN) the only reason I moved was a price thing and that was a mistake

Eeyore

I moved my SIM over to o2 and have finally got Voice over WiFi (aka WiFi Calling) and Voice over LTE working. However, be aware that trying to get issues resolved with o2 is nothing like as easy as Plusnet. When calling o2 customer service, you get routed to a particularly annoying voice recognition system.

If you do indeed move to o2, you will need to get WiFi calling enabled on your account and the correct APN set up manually on your phone. The o2 website says that you need to have special o2 firmware on your phone, which is not true for modern Samsung handsets.

It's sad that Plusnet is never going to offer this service as otherwise I thought that it is a very good operator.

Moovrr
Hooked

I am considering the move from Smarty to Plusnet mobile given they use EE (BT) but if WiFi calling will never appear then I am also doubtful that 5g will anyone soon.
Smarty have just enabled WiFi calling which was a nice surprise, my Samsung S10 has this feature (although I never check if WiFi is being used on a call in the house) which may be a reason to stay with smarty for now.
As 'reader1' said, they moved on account of price and I don't wish to make that mistake too, the Smarty plan gives money back for unused data as well...mmm
reader1
Hooked

I used Smarty for a spell to test out the Network Radio System and it was in my opinion better signals than I am getting with Plusnet, which doesnt like NR at all from home.   I did use it over a wide area with UK and Foreign.  The price was an incentive too.