cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi calling not available was (Wifi calling is now available )

FIXED
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Wifi calling is now available

Hi @yorkshirekev 

I'm not aware of this nor would this be information we'd provide publicly I'm afraid.

Either way though it doesn't change things. All we can say currently is that we have no plans to share. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
yorkshirekev
Dabbler

Ok thanks . Transatel shared their intention last November, and tbf - based on 30+ years in the industry - it would be “normal” for a service provider to make their network connectivity known; after all, most providers claim “boasting rights” based on the capabilities they’ve acquired.

My reason for asking was to determine whether the lack of advanced services was because Plusnet can’t or won’t provide it (even though it looks like you could and it wouldn’t impact your commercials). From that, I guess we can only assume it’s a business decision to deny what most customers would now deem basic functionality, and therefore it’ll probably never be available through Plusnet..

It’s a shame that when Plusnet were first formed, you were the leader and the most innovative ISP in the U.K., but now - after 20-25 years a customer - what I see is the Lidl of the Internet

But thanks for your reply, I know you’re not in a position to comment further, I just wanted to provide some customer feedback.
enlliserve
Grafter

That's unfair on Lidl. Cut price pound shop, maybe.
enlliserve
Grafter

From ISP Review
At present some of the UK MVNOs that benefit from working with Transatel include utility companies (Utilita, Ecotalk), community-based MVNOs (China Telecom Europe), B2B reseller MVNOs (Abzorb), and retail MVNO brands (broadband and phone providers like Plusnet and The Phone Co-op).

So PlusNet is mentioned
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

I appreciate we may have said a lot more 'back in the day' but things aren't the same as they were then. 

It's worth noting that while I'm saying we've no plans to share, this doesn't mean we have no plans. 

Obviously by that I'm not confirming we do have plans as I genuinely don't know.

I'm sure if or when we do start providing these services, we'll say so. 

@enlliserve wrote:
That's unfair on Lidl. Cut price pound shop, maybe.

Off topic, I do love Lidl. Tongue

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mrmitch85
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

I don't want to seem cynical but the more I think about this the more I agree.

The excuse about it being a budget service is wearing very thin when most (all?) Other budget providers have these features.

I was just looking at Voxi for example, who offer:

- 4G and 5G connectivity on all plans
- VoLTE
- WiFi calling
- Generous data bundles
- Dirt cheap
- Unmetered social media access
- Full access to Vodafone's spectrum band (Plusnet does not have 800mhz access to EE)
- 30 day rolling contracts.

For me, I don't have a 5G handset yet, and the 4G coverage is okay where I live and work, so I'm not looking to jump ship just yet, but if my situation changes I may be left with no choice.
Smith7
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Totally agree 

And you can now join VOXI if you are over 30 it used to be only for under 30s

enlliserve
Grafter

Wife joined Voxi at 71 from PlusNet
BTW if you are an iPhone user Voxi also do Visual Voicemail
Robo2PNForum
Hooked

Plusnet mobile has been a wakeup call. I assumed that services using EE would offer the same features. Naive I suppose. 

I felt that I was being overcharged by EE and so moved to Plusnet, with whom I have my broadband. 

Twice recently I've been in locations where I've had no signal. And the other day I was greeted by an E symbol on my iPhone. I'd never even heard of an EDGE signal before, which I understand, as a technology, lives somewhat between 2g and 3g. 

I have advised all my friends to avoid Plusnet mobile. It's cheap and not worth it. 

lindaandphil

Hi, really interested to see your reply.  I spoke to Plusnet a couple of weeks ago to be told they don’t have a Wi-Fi calling facility.  I also have a Samsung S10, and would be very grateful if you could advise me how to activate this on my phone.

Thanks and regards, Phil

tharweb
Hooked

WiFi calling is NOT available currently and there are no plans that it will be anytime soon.

The title of this post needs editing as it is causing a lot of confusion.
markv
Rising Star

Sorry: confused.

Is it Plusnet Mobile that doesn't have WiFi calling, or Plusnet as an ISP which doesn't allow WiFi calling?

If I have a phone on EE (not a MVNO) but have Plusnet as my ISP, will WiFi calling be available?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@markv If EE (as a mobile operator) has Wi-Fi calling, you being on PN should not stop you using the facility.

John
markv
Rising Star

@jab1  Great! Thanks for that.

It seemed possible that PN the ISP could filter/block wifi calling traffic if they wanted. Glad to hear they don't.

Mark

seebee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

Plusnet ISP doesn't block wifi-calling. I have a contract Vodafone phone, and a contract o2 phone, and they are both happily doing wi-fi calling over my Plusnet broadband.