cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi calling not available was (Wifi calling is now available )

FIXED
yorkshirekev
Dabbler

Re: Wifi calling is now available

** edit - confirmed below WiFi can be turned on independently on Android

airplane mode disables ALL radios, including WiFi. Nothing will communicate in airplane mode.
enlliserve
Grafter

On Android you can turn on Aeroplane mode then turn wifi back on separately.
I've done it on a number of occasions for people to check out wifi calling
mrmitch85
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

You can go into aeroplane mode and then turn WiFi on again, but as Plusnet have confirmed they don't have WiFi calling, I can't see how this could work?
Lwio
Rising Star

So apart from people who receive a poor phone signal at their premises is there any other advantage of having and using WiFi calling?

yorkshirekev
Dabbler

Unbundled calls would be free as it’s data not voice. But lack of GSM is the main reason.
blanik

Not sure if calls are outside the bundle? .My understanding is that the wifi call is routed back into the mobile operator network to complete the call - so they will take it out of your allowance.  Wifi calls over apps e.g. Whatsapp to Whatsapp or Google to Google are nothing to do with the mobile operator, and only use some Wifi data.

Vodafone actually say that although they do not support Wifi calling abroad, if you do make a Wifi call you may be charged as if it originated in the UK - so could be billed as an international call even though it could be to a number if the country you are visiting.

One other advantage is that Wifi calling will allow you to receive SMS if you do not have a GSM signal, which can be required as various services are using this for two factor authentication.

orby
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Wifi calls would be part of your monthly minutes allowance the same as if made on the GSM network, I am fairly sure that applies across all networks.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

I'm sure you're right @orby .

I think some people get the impression that it's free because the mobile operators present the feature as not incurring any extra charge.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
yorkshirekev
Dabbler

Yes, it does route back to the mobile network and now you mention it, I do seem to remember reading once that they take it out of the bundle as they still incur the cost of service 👍
enlliserve
Grafter

Wifi Calling comes out of bundled minutes on both my Vodafone and 1p mobile SIMs. Same on daughter's O2
orby
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I suppose at least you won't use up any allowance on Plusnet with their wifi calling, or lack thereof. 😁

They'll surely have to enable it and 4G calling soon otherwise it'll be a really poor service once EE/BT shut off 3G across the country and refarm it out for 4 and 5G.

enlliserve
Grafter

Yep. Not sure where EE is up to but I know Vodafone has refarmed all of its 2100 3G spectrum to 4G and are now looking to use the remaining 900Mhz for 5G support.
I'm lead to believe EE are ahead of Vodafone
ChrisAtBristol
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Local mast off air again today and Wi-Fi calling would have been handy.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

I wanted to provide an update on this. From what I can see the reference to WiFi calling has been removed. 

We haven’t got any plans to share regarding if or when we’ll offer this service, VoLTE and/or 5G, but I’m sure we’ll make it known if or when we do. 

I know this may come at a disappointment for some of you and I’m really sorry for this. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
yorkshirekev
Dabbler

Hi @Gandalf

Thanks for the update. Please could you confirm if Plusnet have been migrated to the new Transatel platform yet and have been given access to advanced services such as WiFi calling and VoLTE? Please see my comments above.

If not, do you have timelines for the platform migration?

This will allow us to understand if it’s a technical limitation or not.

Thanks

Kev