cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi calling not available was (Wifi calling is now available )

FIXED
Sebtomato
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Wifi calling not available was (Wifi calling is now available )

I was able to activate this morning on my Samsung S10 and make calls. Also seems to work on iPhones.

No mention of it on the plusnet website and call centre not aware either this morning. Not sure why they don't really advertise it.

However, Quidco mentions it on its plusnet mobile page so doesn't seem to be an error/glitch.

quidco.com/plusnet-mobile/

"But, if you are in an area without access, enjoy Plusnet Mobile wifi calling, which allows you to make phone calls over your local wireless network. And don’t worry: Plusnet Mobile wifi calling works seamlessly with the number you already use, making phone calls a sinch. "

Great!!!

Moderators Note: Topic title changed to avoid any more confusion.

94 REPLIES 94
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Wifi calling is now available

switched on 3 iPhones here without issue as well.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
orby
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Ah excellent news, hopefully they'll allow VoLTE calling soon as well and it might make me consider staying with Plusnet mobile.

Sebtomato
Rising Star

I already have "VoLTE calls Plusnet" activated too on my phone...

Smith7
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

PlusNet Mobile users may get short code texting as well hopefully 

I will stay with them anyway if not 

Sebtomato
Rising Star

I have heard people complaining about short code texting but I have never had to use that myself, so not an issue for me.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

WiFi calling is essential for me due to the limited EE indoor coverage at home.
Now Plusnet mobile is viable for me.
Can I please request someone performs a test to see if 4G calling /VOLTE is also active?
Turn off WiFi, check that the phone reports a 4G signal and make a call - does the phone stay on 4G or drop to 3G or 2G?
If the phone stays on 4G VOLTE is active.
Regards
Richard
Sebtomato
Rising Star

Screenshot_20211106-165947_Call settings.jpg

RichardB
Seasoned Champion

Ooops, I was distracted half way through writing my post and took far too long.
I see @Sebtomato has already posted that 4G calling is active.
Time to sign up for Plusnet Mobile 😁
tharweb
Hooked

Just tested this, mine drops to 3G, so I take it still no 4G VOLTE.
orby
Rising Star

I've just tested wifi calling and VoLTE - both do not work on my Pixel 3a (which does work for EE) - when turning on wifi calling the phone does not state 'Plusnet - wifi calling' which it does with EE wifi calling. When making a call with Wifi calling enabled I can see the phone goes to 3G in the Plusnet sim setting menu.

Turn off wifi and 4G displayed, make a call and it goes to 3G or H+, end call and back to 4G.

In the Pixel 3a sim settings, 4G Calling is greyed out but turned on (same as on my Pixel 4a with working EE wifi calling)  further down in the same menu allows me to turn on Wifi Calling. So looks like Android 12 allows manually setting wifi calling but the sim card setting isn't yet active for Plusnet.

I think they've started to enable Wifi calling but either my sim card/account isn't yet provisioned for wifi calling or it isn't working yet but they've prepared things for its coming.

Sebtomato
Rising Star

Yes, perfectly possible it's work in progress and being rolled out. It would explain why no formal announcements have been made/features not promoted yet (well, apart on Quidco).

On my phone, "Wifi calling" wouldn't even appear as an option if not provisioned by the network, so they have made some changes.

Given that other MVNOs (e.g. ID Mobile) have started offering wifi calling and VoLTE, I have no doubts Plusnet has to align, to stay competitive.

orby
Rising Star

Also probably due to EE removing 3G from many locations to make more space for 4 and 5G services so that will mean no 3G voice services in the not too distant future so 4G calling is an essential feature, wifi calling also helpful for the networks as we can provide our own connection

Sebtomato
Rising Star

I think wifi calling has been technically available for a long time, but just no enabled on Plusnet for marketing differentiation with other offerings from the BT group (EE or BT mobile), on more expensive plans.

After all, what's the point of paying more for BT or EE if Plusnet had exactly the same features.

Surely, it's better for the customer and better the network (better coverage with fewer transmitters, user infrastructure used), and there is probably no cost to Plusnet.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion

EE did not support WiFi calling for EE PAYG and MVNOs but have implemented at network level this year.
See the comments after: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/06/ee-uk-extend-4g-and-wifi-calling-feature-to-more-custo...
1p mobile was the first EE MVNO to offer WiFi calling and VOLTE.